Author Topic: DESPERATELY seeking Earl/Langwell Sutherland connection IN TIME!  (Read 3376 times)

Offline 45woodhouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DESPERATELY seeking Earl/Langwell Sutherland connection IN TIME!
« on: Thursday 06 September 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
Just got to prove the link between our ancestor Donald Sutherland, Tacksman of Darkness, Mid Clyth, Caithness(b 4.9.1720) and Donald Na Pallaig, Head of the Langwell Sutherlands of Berriedale, Caithness in time for Golden Wedding Present (END SEPT) for Great Aunt who's always wanted to know. Have not been able to read his parentage from baptismal entry on 'Scotlandspeople', so feel utterly unable to proceed; neither Dunrobin Castle nor Langwell House have been able to assist. Also need to prove the link back from Donald Na Pallaig/Langwell Sutherlands, back to Nicholas Sutherland (son of Kenneth, the 3rd Earl, and brother to the 4th Earl), who died in 1320.  PLEASE can anyone help with any of this?- really don't want to let her down now!!!

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DESPERATELY seeking Earl/Langwell Sutherland connection IN TIME!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 12 11:44 BST (UK) »
Steady on!

You say you want to prove this link - what evidence do you have already?

If you provide the information that you already have, I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here.

Regards

Mike

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 12 11:57 BST (UK) »
45, might this not be the tacksman of Blackness, Mid Clyth?

Skoosh.

Offline 45woodhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 September 12 13:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh and Mike in Cumbria. Yes, my definite, proven by certs etc link is to Donald Sutherland (b 4.9.1720), the tacksman of Blackness, Mid Clyth, Caithness. A tree confirming all my findings was ALREADY compiled for my ancestors at the Dunbeath Heritage Centre when we visited a few weeks ago, the majority of which had been done a long time ago by another distant relative, the Reverend George Sutherland from Bruan, and added to/confirmed by other distant relatives who had visited there. However, in the notes on this tree at the top next to this Donald, the tacksman, it says that he was descended from Donald Na Pallaig, Head of Langwell family Sutherland, and therefore back to the 3rd Earl's son, and 4th Earl of Sutherland's brother, Nicholas. That is, I am afraid, the ONLY reason I have to think this so far. I am awaiting a reply from email and letter sent to the Dunbeath Heritage Centre  on whether they have any more of the Reverend's notes, and have tried phoning them to no avail so far. I thought someone somewhere may have already done the Langwell Na Pallaig-Earls tree, or know how I could get it.

Offline 45woodhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 September 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
Do apologise MonicaL for messing up by putting my search in 3 forums; I didn't know you shouldn't do that, and hope my reply to all of you gets in here. I have finally been able to read that Donald Sutherland b 4.9.1720 record, and see his Father was William Sutherland of Houstry. On Scotlandspeople, there was a likely marriage for a William Sutherland for 3.9.1717 at Watten Parish (no P Latheron then), for 3.9.1717 to Elspet Cormach. It also  looks possible that this William was the one born 16.9.1701 in Watten Parish, the son of a John Sutherland of Clyth - what do people think? Don't suppose I can prove these, the few facts given in those days just seem to 'tally in'