Author Topic: James Black, Hawick  (Read 8219 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Re: James Black, Hawick
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 11:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry everybody I`ve got the wrong family.

I broke one of the main rules of genealogy and didn`t check the marriage cert.

James Black`s  father was Alexander Black and his mother Rachel Wallace.

The only good thing is his wife`s parents are correct !!!

So I`m starting over

I would like to thank you all for eveything.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
There was the possibility that the James Black born 1862 died in 1863  :-\
Going by the 1892 marriage cert. this looks like your James Black -

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYB5-V9T

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks EV for that.

My mother had mentioned Coldstream a couple of weeks ago, but I thought that was the Johnstons .

The only thing is the age difference, is this where the 2 years either side comes into being.

Also, I have found another ( !!!!!!!! ) James Black who is married,b. Scotland but no town/village mentioned, on the 1891 Census in Gainsborough, Lincs.

I`ll give this a bit more thought and may go there ( its only 14 miles ) to see if there are any deaths of his wife.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Billy

Reading back through this post, I would agree that Ev has found the right christening, and that your James BLACK is the child of Alexander Black and Rachel WALLACE, christened in Coldstream on August 5th 1855.

You didn't answer Monica's question about whether Agnes describes herself as a widow in 1901, which is crucial. There is no point searching for James' death before 1901if he's still alive!

I see that a search of Scotlandspeople index for the 1901 census reveals a James Black aged 46 in Wilton, which is part of Hawick. Have you ruled him out?

Regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
I must apologise for that. Yes, on the 1901 Census Agnes Black is a widow , living with her son Adam and mother Mary Johnston.

Agnes`s death cert states that she is the widow of James Black ( deceased )

On their marriage cert , James parents are Alexander Black and Rachel Black ms Wallace, and Agnes`s are James Johnston and Mary Johnston ms Ballantyne, so that part is correct now !

I`ve always known the parents of Agnes but it is James that led me astray !!

Thank you very much for your help

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Billy

Lots of info from everyone which is great.

The birth cert that Ev posted earlier and Lesley also refers to, worth looking at if you haven't already on Scotlands People. 1855 and the first year of official registration and BMDs ran over two pages of the register with lots of additional info for one year. For births, it should often include where parents were from, date and place of their marriage, how many children they had (girls/boys, alive/deceased).

Are you still stuck on finding James' death between 1891-1901? Have you discounted the entry that Lesley mentioned?

With James' parents confirmed as Alexander and Rachel, have you made headway with census and other info for this Black family?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 September 12 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much.

This is what I know about James with your help.From SP James Black born 5th Aug 1855 Coldstream

To parents Alexander Black born Stitchel and Rachel Black ms Wallace born Stitchel  married 1849 Coldstream

Also on Family Search along with birth of  Mary Black  born 1857 parents as above

Freecen 1861 James is aged 5 parents as above , but in Northumberland

James Black ( widower ) married Agnes Johnston ( spins )10th  Sept Hawick SP

Adam Black born 4th April 1893 Hawick, extract of entry reg of births

Agnes Black  1901 Census describes herself as a widow.

Agnes Black death 1908 described as widow. SP

From SP 1891 Census  James Black aged 34 Widower with son Alexander aged 11. On this Census James says he was born Kelso.

However, I have searched SP again for his death ( birth year 1855 ) and it shows  2 for the 1892 to 1901 period  neither of which fit.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 September 12 12:19 BST (UK) »
Billy, a different tack....!

Have you got anywhere tracing James Black's first marriage? Someone has some info online which I think has James marrying a Jane Blyth(e) in Selkirk in 1880. Has a precise date for marriage and gives that James' parents as Alexander and Rachael (Wallace).

There is a death showing on SP, just from general searches, for a Jane Blythe/Black in Hawick in 1890 born c. 1856. From the info I mention online, her death is down as being on 5 Aug 1890.

Two children showing for this couple:

An Alexander born on 5 Oct 1881 in Selkirk
Also, Rachael born c. 1884 (not stated where). She is showing as having married an Alexander Stewart in 1909 in Edinburgh and her death in 1939.

All of this info, given the dates, should be straightforward to verify yourself. There are no sources quoted to the above info nor details of what happened to James Black.

Trying to find Rachael and brother Alexander now on censuses....

Monica 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 September 12 12:28 BST (UK) »
The 1891 census that you mentioned is the obvious one, if wife Jane Blyth had died the year before:

James Black 34 labourer b. Kelso
Alexander Black 11 son b. Hawick (who could be the Alexander born 5 Oct 1881 in Selkirk)
Kethern Conner 29, visitor, mill worker b. Selkirk, Roxburgh (as transcribed)

Address: 12 Drumlanrig Sq, Hawick

If we are on the right lines regarding James' first marriage, wonder who was taking care of Rachel and where she could be in the censuses?

Monica