Author Topic: Baptising a Baptist  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Baptising a Baptist
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 February 13 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Probably internal and heated Baptistries are more recent innovations to cater for present day softies. Although, there are recent (last 30 years) instances at Scarborough of Baptisms in the sea, and the church there has a Baptistry.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 February 13 21:01 GMT (UK) »
The present baptist church in Haddenham  opened in 1905 does have a baptistry under the floor at the front. I'm pretty sure that the original chapel built in about 1817 didn't have one.

Some non-conformist records for Cambridgeshire are avaliable on CD but not sure if they include baptisms.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 February 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
The date fits well enough with two other Baptist churches I have attended with my wife with have Baptistries, i.e Chequer Road Doncaster built 1910, Ebenezer Baptist Scarborough, I think also 1910.
Strangely High St. Boston founded around 1650, current building 1838 on the same site has a Baptistry, but since it is on the bank of the then heavily polluted river Witham that may account for it.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)