Author Topic: Full Stop - William McGUINESS  (Read 5670 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Full Stop - William McGuiness
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 February 13 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Some links to help with the hurdles

http://webjournals.ac.edu.au/journals/adeb/b_/boyce-francis-bertie-1844-1931/ 

1869 Rev Boyce was “sent to George’s Plains , SW of Bathurst”     

http://www.bathurstfhg.asn.au/pregSurnames.shtml  13 entries for Hancock, 1 for McGuinness
http://www.bathurstfhg.asn.au/PIONREG.shtml

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 February 13 05:37 GMT (UK) »
May I ask about the marriage cert...

Do you have the NSW BDM issued copy and if so, is the handwritting basically a "scribble" ? so that Victoria Creek could actually be "Vittoria Creek"  (Vittoria is on western side of Bathurst, on the way to Milthorpe and/or Orange.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Full Stop - William McGUINESS
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 February 13 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Answering my own question - Victoria Creek is probably near Bathurst as that is where the registration was.

1663/1870   
William MCGUINESS, Mary HANCOCK, reg at  BATHURST

I note a few spellings for William's surname on the index
MACGRIMELS   MACGUINESS   MCGRIMELS    MCGUINESS

As it seems that neither of them could read/write it is hardly surprising that there are a number of spellings, making it even more difficult to find details of his family, or his immigration as the spelling would be whatever the recording clerk wrote.  :(

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 February 13 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it is the FATHER of William McGuinness ( married to Mary Hancock) that I'm looking for.
 The marriage certificate states that they were married in the residence of the brides home , in Victoria Creek by the Officiating Minister Bertie Boyce.in the presence of William Hancock & Ellen Hancock (presumably brides brother & sister) The wedding certificate was signed with a X for both parties, & witnessed by the minister Bertie Boyce........

I also have information on William's death certificate which states his father as McGUINNESS (which doesn't help)Mother's name " not known"

Hi,  William Hancock ....  the following is very speculative, so please don't get your hopes up, BUT  :)

NSW Electoral Roll 1870 for the electorate of East Macquarie
William Hancock, leasehold at Winburndale
George Handcock, residence at Wattle Flat
Matthew Handcock, residence at Wattle Flat
Finnelly Maginness, residence, Dirty Swamp

And of course you would like to know where "East Macquarie" electorate was  ;D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_district_of_East_Macquarie
East Macquarie was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of New South Wales between 1859 and 1894, in the Bathurst region;D  ;D  ;D  .... In 1870 it covered quite a large area, eg Meadow Flat to Sofala, Oberon to Kelso.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 February 13 11:10 GMT (UK) »
1906, Canbelego …. I don’t have much info for there, but

NSW ER 1903, DARLING,  … noting these rolls do not show the street address for the electors, simply because there was sufficient info for the polling clerks to mark off the electors based on the clerk’s local knowledge of the people in the local community.  So, it is not possible to confirm IF any one listed lived under the same roof as anyone else.

polling at Nyngan (Canbelego is ‘roughly’ half way between Nyngan and Cobar)
William McGuinness, of Nyngan, a carrier
Edward McGuinness of Nyngan, a labourer   

Polling at Canbelego
Thomas McGinness of Canbelego, a labourer
Sarah Jane McGinness, of Canbelego, domestic duties

Polling at Cobar
Sorry,  no likely surnames found at that polling place.

From your copy of the 1906 NSW dc, some questions if I may.    What information on that document for:
 :)  how old was William,
 :)  where born,
 :)  how long in the colonies,
 :)  where was he buried

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 February 13 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Speculating

Re Edward McGuinness , Nyngan General Cemetery.  He died 21 Dec 1913, aged 96 years. 
http://austcemindex.com/inscription.php?id=8700862

There is a Deceased Estate file at the NSW State Records Office.  Deceased Estate files often contain vital family history information, including the names of children, (living and deceased).   I am speculating that perhaps Edward McGuinness of Nyngan and Wiliam McGuinness of Nyngan are somehow connected to William McGuiness who married Mary Hancock in 1870 (spelling Edward’s surname with two “N” as per 1903 Electoral Roll AND the 1913 Cemetery index and with one “N” as per NSW SRO index)
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=15  (watch spelling !, one “N” at this index)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Full Stop - William McGUINESS
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 February 13 00:58 GMT (UK) »
My cousin has phoned me  ::)

http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/name_search/extract?id=SXKqFxZTIt

"Victoria Creek" since 1970, and the previous name was Victoria Falls Creek  :)

Cheers,  JM