Author Topic: Beard Families  (Read 54900 times)

Offline RomanyRoser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beard Families
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 July 09 03:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the many responses to my query on Daniel BEARD. An outline of the generations to Cornelius & Moses Beard's who came to Western Australia are.(1) Daniel b.1645 (Painswick, Gloucestershire) & Mary Lawrence, (2) Daniel b.1667 & Mary, (3) Samuel b.1685 (Painswick, Gloucestershire)  & not stated, (4) John b.1723 (Standish Gloucestershire) & Mary Blizzard, William b.1736 (Tetbury Gloucestershire)  & Mary Dicks, (5), William b.1762 (Longhope, Gloucestershire) & Alice Witts, (6) Stephen b.1791 (Tetbury, Gloucestershire) & Rebecca Sharpe,  **** Two of the sons' of Stephen & Rebecca , Cornelius b.1830 & Moses b.1826 both in Tetbury came to Western Australia in 1857 and I am researching their life for my friend. Both of these men had large families here and I was hoping to fill in the gaps in England- Roser

Offline Red1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am related to the Beard family of Brighton and Rottingdean, Sussex. My 14x GG was Richard Beard b 1492 and he married Elizabeth. I don't seem to be able to go any further back, but then that's not too surprising.

In trying to search for relations to Richard b 1492 I came across a Gyles Beard buried in 1611 in Rowner in Hampshire. Whilst trying to trace when he was born, I came across a Gyles Beard b 1582 in Painswick, Gloucester, he married a Margaret Okey on 22 Nov 1607 - I'm not sure if they are the same person?

I'm not sure how far back you are going? I'd be very interested to know of any Beard's that are around the 15th and 16th century if you have any. 

The furthest I can find is a John Beard in 1402 in Lincoln. My theory is that they may all be related originally?!?

The Beard's of Sussex became Quakers in 1666, and there seems to be a tradition of Beard's going into the church, or as Quakers, and the name crops up across the pond too - I wonder if through their ministrys that they kept in touch across the country.

Any thoughts, or possible links to Gloucestershire, or anywhere else, would be greatfully appreciated.
Helen
Bracegirdle, Hooson, Bateman, Apsley - in Denbighshire , Flintshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Manchester and Isle of Man
Womersley, Armytage, Armitage, Auty, Briggs, Brearley, Cordingley, Clayton, Fairburn, Hooson, Whiteley - in Yorkshire, Lancashire, Manchester and Cheshire
Beard, Scrase, Neville, Calverley, De la Chambre, Fuller, Clothal - Rottingdean, Lewes, Brighton, Sussex, Kent

Offline seyshell

• RootsChat Extra
  • A Stranger in a Strange Land
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 00:24 BST (UK) »
Any info for a Miss Beard that married a Brown in Bristol then immigrated to Canada, and returned home after death of a daughter.
If you have any information, I would be very grateful

Michelle
Hopgood, IOW & Qld, Kunkel Qld, Honor QLD, Taylor Notts & Qld, Limbrick, Lawson

My email address is not working sorry

Offline Jme79

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 16 October 09 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Alf, just wanted to say that I have traced my Beards back to Childs Wickham, is that the same as yours?

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 16 October 09 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna1979

I have been collating All the Gloucestershire Beard families. Mine were all over the place, some ended up in Lancashire. If you would like to share your info PM me wand I will give you my e-mail. I will then ahve a look at what I have and get back to you,

Regards
Alf

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 19 October 09 11:54 BST (UK) »
Alf,

Whilst at the Glo'ster R.O. last week being shown the ropes by GillG , Gill found a Bisley GLS marriage banns record for me and surprise, surprise, on the print we made is a Beard marriage so I thought I might as well let you know.

Transcripted:-

"Banns of Marriage between Isaac Hunt and Ann Beard were published Oct 30 Nov 6th and 13th 1808 by J Green."
"Isaac Hunt of this Parish Bachelor and Ann Beard of this Parish Spinster were married in this Church by Banns ('with consent of' crossed out) this 25th Day of Nov'r in the Year One Thousand Eight Hundred and eight by me John Green Curate"

Isaac and Ann made their marks and one of the witnesses Isaac Beard also made his mark.  The other witness appears on other records so may be the parish clerk I suppose.

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Pogle1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 22 October 09 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been researching my family including the Beards for about 4 months. With the help of FOD.net, Alf's transcriptions of Lydney Church and Willow4873, I've managed to trace back to my gggggGrandparents Samuel and Ann. A lot really helpful and very nice people out there.

My line follows down through Charles Edward (1867 - 1942) and Hannah Jane (1865 -1930). Hannah Jane Coslett has proved an enigma; she appears on just one census with that name, 1881 and then appears as a Beard in 1901.

I'd be particularly interested if anyone has any information on Charles' brother, Henry George Beard (1876 - ????). He moved to Cheltenham and became the owner of the Collesium cinema as it was for a number of years. He was married to May Clift and they had 3 daughters none of whom I believe married. He was a tobacconists assistant in 1901 and there's no indication how he made the transition.
Beard, Coslett, Wood, Cooper, Thomas(!), Lloyd(!!) and Williams (!!!)

Offline Pogle1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 25 October 09 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This is message for GWRL who sent me a personal message. Being new to Roots chat and not knowing my way around I'm not sure how to send a message back as it says I'm either not allowed to do so or my profile is full when I click on the item in my inbox.

In short, I do have some John Lloyds in my family tree but none for the dates you quoted I'm afraid. By coincidence though, part of my Beard line ran out married Chrums in Canada.
Beard, Coslett, Wood, Cooper, Thomas(!), Lloyd(!!) and Williams (!!!)

Offline RomanyRoser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 26 October 09 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alf- I think that I spoke to you a while ago, concerning brothers Moses Beard born 1828 (Tetbury) & Cornelius Beard born 1830 (Tetbury) both sons of Stephen & Rebecca nee Sharpe . They came to Western Australia per the vessel "City of Bristol"in 1856 and settled in the Northam District. I have been busy with my sister who has now passed away and I wonder if you have any  info on their line. Stephen son of William & Alice nee WITTS, William son of William & Mary nee Dicks, William son of John & Mary nee Blizzard, John son of Samuel & Not Stated, Samuel son of Daniel & Mary nee Not Stated, Daniel son of Daniel & Mary nee Lawrence. - Romany Roser