Author Topic: Morton family of Hamilton Farm Rd  (Read 2089 times)

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morton family of Hamilton Farm Rd
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 October 20 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian, sorry for the delay but I am so confused by this.
I have that record; that's the source of the reference to Hamilton's Land at the start of my thread. Sorry you paid for it too; I'd be very happy to return the gesture.

So are you saying that Margaret's Hamilton's Mother is Elizabeth Rennie (married to William Brown (b 3 March 1843 in Carnbroe) but that in Margaret's birth record Elizabeth's surname was incorrectly recorded as Rae? Or are you saying her mother was Rae? If the former, I am now confused by Rutherglen when they are from Whifflet/Carnbroe area

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 October 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian, sorry for the delay but I am so confused by this.

So are you saying that Margaret's Hamilton's Mother is Elizabeth Rennie but that in Margaret's birth record Elizabeth's surname was incorrectly recorded as Rae?
Yes, exactly that.

I am now confused by Rutherglen when they are from Whifflet/Carnbroe area
Your first post in this thread said they were from Hamilton Farm.

I have yet to find her in the 1871 census, but she should be in the parish of Old Monkland, because that's where Whifflet is.
The 1881 census says Margaret was born in Carnbroe like her husband.
The 1891 census says she was born in Cambuslang.
I see that she died in 1900 which explains why I can't find her in the 1901 census.

So at least one of those birthplaces has to be wrong because Carnbroe is in the parish of Bothwell, not in the parish of Cambuslang.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 March 21 22:37 GMT (UK) »
 It's been a while but just came across this article on the Farme Colliery Engine,

https://www.culturenlmuseums.co.uk/blog/the-mysteries-of-the-farme-colliery-engine/

Bests,
Skoosh.