Author Topic: Morton family of Hamilton Farm Rd  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Morton family of Hamilton Farm Rd
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 October 20 18:04 BST (UK) »
I have photos of the family bible which belonged to her and her husband, William Brown in which he gives her name as Margaret Hamilton Brown born 27 March 1846. I now think she was born in Cambroe
That will be Carnbroe not Cambroe.

However, I can’t find her birth record in Scotland’s People or Ancestry s far.
If it's not on Scotland's People it is not going to be on Ancestry unless submitted by someone who has seen the same family bible. See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

In fact, I think that the baptism of Margaret Hamilton Morton, parents Robert Morton and Elizabeth Rae, on 19 April 1846 is almost certainly your Margaret, with the mother's maiden surname incorrectly recorded, baptised at about three weeks old. There is also a Mary, baptised 26 December 1847. Between them they nicely fill the gap between the marriage of Robert Morton and Elizabeth Rennie in 1844 and the baptism of their son Robert in 1849. Have you actually looked at the original baptism on Scotland's People gives a date of birth? If not, I suggest that you do so now.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 October 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,  I have the marriage record of Margaret and William Brown confirming she is 21 and living in Coatbridge, and William Whifflet, Old Monkland and her parents are Robert Morton and Elizabeth Rainey/Rennie.
I know my grandfather's family were from Whifflet and Old Monkland area which makes more sense (William was born Carnbroe, Whifflet 3 March 1843 as stated in his family Bible) and their first child John was born 1 Aug 1867, Nelson's Land, Whifflet (again from the bible).

Sorry I am unsure as to which original baptism on Scotland's People gives a date of birth? Do you mean for Margaret Hamilton Morton b 1846?

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 October 20 18:25 BST (UK) »
I do have the record of MHM born 19 April 1846 which is how I went down the Hamilton's Land track.

I appreciate the link; people like me must be very frustrating :)

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 October 20 18:58 BST (UK) »
And now I have found Margaret's death cert 30 April 1900. Just wish I could find her birth record or baptism but as usual, SP's parameters rarely produce results for me.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 October 20 18:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry I am unsure as to which original baptism on Scotland's People gives a date of birth? Do you mean for Margaret Hamilton Morton b 1846?
Yes.

The original of the baptism, which is indexed on Scotland's People, may state the actual date of birth. It may also name the witnesses to the baptism, which might provide a clue. It may say what Robert's occupation is, or where he resided.

If you got it from anywhere else, it is not a record; it is either a transcription or an index listing.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 October 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
Ok I will have to email SP as it just isn't coming up for me. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 October 20 20:26 BST (UK) »
Are you looking in Advanced Search > church registers > births and baptisms and searching for Morton, Margaret, 1846?

If you put Hamilton in as her middle name it won't come up because it is truncated in the index to just Hamilt.

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 October 20 21:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks but I have that cert, but now don't think that's not my Margaret.
My Margaret Hamilton Morton (who married William Brown 14 June 1867 in Old Monkland) - her mother is Elizabeth Rennie on the certs I have. I just cant find MHM birth cert to parents Robert Morton and Elizabeth Rennie.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 October 20 22:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks but I have that cert, but now don't think that's not my Margaret.
My Margaret Hamilton Morton (who married William Brown 14 June 1867 in Old Monkland) - her mother is Elizabeth Rennie on the certs I have. I just cant find MHM birth cert to parents Robert Morton and Elizabeth Rennie.
No, because Elizabeth Rennie is probably wrongly recorded as Elizabeth Rae in the register of baptisms.

I am not asking whether you have the marriage certificate - I know you have that. You have obviously not seen the original of the baptism of Margaret Hamilton Morton, daughter of Robert Morton and Elizabeth Rae, in Rutherglen on 19 April 1946, because if you had it would have fully answered your question. You owe me 6 credits :)