Author Topic: Death in Mildura VIC 1899- Edward Mostyn THELWELL  (Read 6713 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: Death in Mildura VIC 1899- Edward Mostyn THELWELL
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 September 12 17:56 BST (UK) »
Merlin - thank you for those links, I knew nothing about all this till today now I've seen a will and an admin and inventories, debts and exceutors. What a treat but a sad tale too, both brothers died alone and practically penniless. Both had wives somewhere but not there!

Now have to find out who was using the name of John Burklely THELWELL to get married in London UK in 1896, it's not be the first time I've seen someone adopt anothers identity.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 September 12 18:24 BST (UK) »
Are you missing an Ann/e THELWELL at all?

There is a marriage & death in Victoria:

Marriage:

THELWELL Ann (born Rainhill, Lancashire) m. LAUCHLAN Mat Highet (born Ayr) 1894 #6446

Death:

LAUCHLAN Anne age 40yrs d. 1897 Malvern #9511
Father: William THELWELL
Mother: Theresa WATKINS

It appears she also had a brother named James.

Offline Rhonda May

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 September 12 00:07 BST (UK) »
Found a reference to a THELWALL family that mentions some of the supposed brothers and sisters - children of the parents named on J B's death record ???

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~walkersj/FrancisPhipps.html
65.  ELIZA CLARISSA EMILIA12 TOKES (ELIZA JEANETTE11 BRANTHWAITE, ELIZABETH10 PHIPPS, CONSTANTINE9, CONSTANTINE8, JAMES7, JAMES6, FRANCIS5, GEORGE4, ROBERT3) was born November 29, 1831, and died June 29, 1888.  She married CAPTAIN RICHARD BULKELEY TWYFORD THELWALL.  He died 1888. 65th Regt.
Children of ELIZA TOKES and RICHARD THELWALL are:
 i. ARTHUR BRANTHWAYT13 THELWALL.
 ii. REVEREND EUSULE ALLISTON THELWALL.
 iii. CONSTANCE HESSIE THELWALL, d. unmarried.
 iv. BULKELEY THELWALL.
 v. MARY CHRISTINE THELWALL. Nun.
 vi. EDWARD THELWALL.
 vii. RICHARD DE CRESPIGNY THELWALL.

Rhonda

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 September 12 11:34 BST (UK) »
Merlin
Don't think she is any relation of the Welsh bunch.

Thanks anyway.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 September 12 11:48 BST (UK) »
Rhonda

Thank you for sticking with this thread!

I went back over what I already have plus some new searches and found there ARE two John Bulkeley THELWALL's!

One b Wales 1857, father Bevis
One born Somereset 1860, father Richard.

I've been trying to disentangle them by census and voyages and think I have them now. With both boys being educated away from home at a young age it was difficult to find parents.

This also accounts for that mysterious JBT marriage in London after JBT died in Australia :-)

Still haven't found out how the two JBT's are related but probably cousins - now to prove it!

Thanks
Gen in NBl England

Offline swampguts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 November 12 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for a late entry i will be looking into this futher my nans nan was Edith Charlotte Tanner and i have lived my whole live in Mildura  seems this guy has a past so i will be looking up his grave site as well as anything else i can get    Cheers Kim

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 November 12 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Frederick LAWRENCE and Edith LAWRENCE were siblings or perhaps father and dau.

A few snippets mentioning Edward.

Mildura Cultivator 4 Mar 1891
Time steamer Ruby arrived at 6 p:m. on Monday after a 39 hours trip from Swan Hill. The passenger list was as follows :-Mrs. F. W. Judd, Miss Camp, Miss Jewkes, Mrs. McLarty, Mrs. Boyden, and Messrs. Robinson (2), Hamilton (2), Furley, Champ, Camp, Marsh, Boyden, Timbury, Baker, Thelwell, Grover, Middlnton, G. M'Kay, J.
 McKay Blomfield, Watson, and six deck passengers.

Mildura Cultivator 24 Nov 1894
A nasty accident happened to Mr. Fred Lawrence, settler, of Eleventh-street, on Wednesday last. After lunch  he started away from the stable with a pair of horses in a waggonette, accompanied by Major Thelwall. One of the animals restive always when starting, was more fractious than usual, seeing which Mr. Lawrence, upon coming out of the gateway opening on to the street, instead of directing the animals across the bridge close by which was in the way he purposed going, turned their heads down the street. Almost in the same instant the pole snapped, the reins became disarranged at the horses' heads, the wheels locked, the waggonette overturned, and the occupants were violently thrown to the ground. The Major escaped with a slight though painful wound on the knee, but Mr. Lawrence had his right collar-bone broken, a left rib stove in, and his skull injured. Dr. Abramowski, who is attending Mr. Lawrence, reports that his patient is doing very well under the serious circumstances.

Mildura Cultivator 11 Sep 1897
£1 REWARD.
WHEREAS certain person or persons are continually turning cattle into Mr. ? Mlaine's block situated at the corner of Tenth-street and Koorlong avenue, at night time and removing them in early morning.
WHOEVER can give such information as will lead to a conviction, shall receive the above reward from this late.
LAWRENCE AND THELWALL, c Ravensworth, Mildura, September 4th, 1897.

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations)
THELWALL Edward Mostyn of Ravensworth Mildura colony of Victoria gentleman died 13 April 1899 Administration (with Will) (Limited) London 1 January to William Goode Davies Solicitor the attorney of Edith Lawrence spinster Effects £293.11s.

This appeara to be Edith's death.  She mentioned she was of Toora on one of the files at PROV.  The family appear on the 1903 electoral roll at Toora but the image is almost illegible.  Edith was born c1876 in the UK.

Marriage
LAWRENCE Edith born England
GARDENER   Thomas John  born England
1901  Reg#2264

Death
GARDENER Gardener
Father Herbert [Frederick] LAWRENCE  Mother Mary Jane DAVIES
At Welshpool   80 years  1956  Reg#22217

Kim I am wondering why you have mentioned your  nans nan was Edith Charlotte Tanner.  What is the connection?

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 November 12 23:17 GMT (UK) »

Kim I am wondering why you have mentioned your  nans nan was Edith Charlotte Tanner.  What is the connection?

Cheers
Cando

This seems to be  birth to a woman named similarly to above.
The couple had a number of children in Vic.
The connection is not yet apparent to the people being discussed on this thread

HORE Hanora Alice  (other BMD references show HOARE)
Father John
Mother Sharlot Edith TANNER
Birth Place BLUE
 Year 1870
Reg Number 7220

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 November 12 23:55 GMT (UK) »
A response on one of Kim's previous threads....

hello swampguts,
saw your queries re John Hoare, so had to join up to contact you.
he was born 28 June 1832 Galbally & Aherlow
To Maurice Hoare and Hanora Murphy.(http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie/)
]He Married Edith Tanner 26 April 1869 St Francis' Church Melbourne. (I have print out of marriage certificate) He had two children, Alice (1870) and Maurice (11 Dec 1871) I have print of his birth certificate.) There are three possibilities re: his arrival in Victoria, so will not note them for the moment.

John was the brother of Thomas Hoare (Hore) (B: 9 Nov 1834) who also came to Australia, married in the goldfields but followed the gold to Otago NZ. he was my G G Grandfather on my mother's side.
There appears to be a Maurice who was a brother of John and Thomas who died in Ballarat Victoria in 1906, as he left money to John's Alice and Maurice (referred to as nephew and niece in will). I can provide the info if required. I'd like to find out more too, looks like they're from Glenary, Ballingarry Limerick. according to Griffiths.
cheers

The author of the above post appears to have possibly missed eight births more to John HOARE and Edith TANNER and perhaps that should be persued on another topic so we don't hijack this thread.

Still can't see the connection to Edward Mostyn THELWELL

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk