Author Topic: Help please! Novice re Dinnings / Dennings in Tynan  (Read 2305 times)

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
Help please! Novice re Dinnings / Dennings in Tynan
« on: Sunday 23 April 06 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

would be grateful for any advice on how to track down info on the following family:

* Strong Dinning married Margaret Watson - date unknown
* Children believed to be: Robert, Jack, John Henry and (the one I am interested in) William.  William born abt 1792.

What I also know:

* A Strong Dinning is named on the Irish Flax growers list from 1796 - resident in Tynan, Armagh.
* Family are supposed to come from Armagh.
* Strong & Margaret and family emigrate to Bristol abt 1809 - he runs a grocery shop for a few years
* William marries Rachel Granville in 1812 and moves to Wolverhampton - I have line from here.
* Strong & Margaret emigrate to USA in 1827.

Most of my info is from a contact in the US and is unverified.  What I would love to do is place Strong, Margaret & the boys together - ideally by parish records and verifying baptisms and marriages.  I had hoped for emigration lists to do this but have found they did not exist from Ireland to England!

Have to admit that whilst I can find my way around English & Scottish records am flummoxed by Irish.  Have tried using the main sites with search indexed but no luck.  So would be very very grateful for advice on where to go next.

Thanks  Sue
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Help please! Novice re Dinnings / Dennings in Tynan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue,

There was a steady flow of Irish people to Wolverhampton as their numbers amounted to one in eight of the population by the middle of the 1800s. Most were unskilled and the movement from Ireland was started by seasonal farm workers. I was interested to note in the following link that many were happy to be in Wolverhampton amongst their fellow Irish where they were able to speak their native language. www.wolverhamptonarchives.dial.pipex.com/local_migration_19th.htm

You'll have to rely on Church records when searching for Strong and Margaret as they were born prior to the introduction of Civil Registration in Ireland. This happened in 1864. Marriages of Non Catholic were registered from 1845 onwards.

The Valuations, which took place in the county in 1864, show no Dinnings or Dennings but they do show Clendenning and Clendinning.

Clendenning, Samuel H., Mulladry, Kilmore, Armagh
Clendenning, Samuel. H., Ballybreagh, Kilmore, Armagh
Clendenning, John, Ballintaggart, Kilmore, Armagh

Clendinning, John, Tannaghmore, North Shankill, Armagh
Clendinning, John, Taghnevan, Shankill, Armagh
Clendinning, John, Monbrief, Shankill, Armagh
Clendinning, Eliza, Corcrain, Portadown, West Street, Drumcree Armagh

Christopher

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Just found this and see it is too late to say thank you in person, but very grateful.  :(

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Caledon Bridge / Aghaloo - advice please?
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 September 12 10:03 BST (UK) »
Am trying to trace the baptism of a Strong Dinning in Caledon Bridge / Aghaloo in the 1760s.

He is listed in the Flax growers list of 1796 at Tynan in Armargh and there is an Adam Clendenon listed (as protestant) in the 1766 Religious Census of County Tyrone, Diocese of Armagh.

What is the best way for me to look for this - is it a search request to PRONI? Would appreciate any advice as to if it is even worth it or if records just too vague.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 September 12 23:01 BST (UK) »
PRONI does not provide research services and few churches have records pre-1800s. Once you know the family's religion you can see if any church records for such an early period even still exist and if PRONI have microfilmed copies. If so, you can either visit in person or get someone to do so for you.

There's a whole section for Church Records under ARMAGH RESOURCES-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,498552.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 September 12 13:49 BST (UK) »
I didn't realise that they did not do a research service  :( However it looks as if the parish records I would require do not exist early enough. Thanks for the advice.