Author Topic: Burslem & Rolleston burials - WALKER  (Read 731 times)

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
Burslem & Rolleston burials - WALKER
« on: Monday 10 September 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

If by any chance anyone has access to the parish registers for Burslem and / or for Rolleston I would be very grateful for any info on the following:

BURSLEM - IGI lists burial of a John Walker aged 1 in 1825. Am hoping to find parents names.

ROLLESTON - Looking to trace the death of a John Walker in the period 1841 - 1851. He was a Joiner and born abt 1818 (+ or - 5 yrs). Free BMD lists 3 possibles for this period registered in Burton on Trent in 1841, 1844 and 1847. John is on the census in Rolleston with wife and twin daughters but gone by the 1851.

Need the above as am trying to trace which of the 5 or 6 John Walkers baptised in Burslem between 1810 - 1825 is "mine". Am working through the baptisms and the census to rule all possibilities in our out. Is proving quite some task!

I have "my" John for certain on the 1851 in Carlisle but so far not found him on the 1841 though gradually ruling out the possibilities. He dies in 1857 and I suspect never formally marries his wife with whom he has 7 children. I have been able to verify that she left her husband and young child to be with John so potentially he did the same. Would love to know the full story behind it but will settle for proving his parents.  John was a joiner, and the John who disappears from Rollaston was also a joiner. The only one listed on the 1841......

Grateful for any help with the deaths / possible deaths. If not then will go down the record office and ordering death certificate route but trying to reduce the cost! Thanks
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: Burslem & Rolleston burials - WALKER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 12 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

A popular BI has this:
13 Nov 1825 John Walker aged 1y, Burslem, St John the Baptist, bur.

There is a bap. entry on FreeReg:
http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=8956576
It only gives his mother as a parent, but if you see the note at the foot of the entry, she is described as a spinster, which suggests John is illegitimate.

Nothing on the other John as yet.

Hope this helps.

Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
Re: Burslem & Rolleston burials - WALKER
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

Just back from holidays so just seen this - sorry for delay in replying.

I'm going to rule out the John born 1825 - he was just on the edge of potential dates anyway as "my" John is having kids with a 24 year old by 1841. Plus I think given baptism / burial info he is in all liklehood not still around by then.

On the others / Rolleston deaths have so far ordered one certificate which is for a joiner but who was in his 50s so again not "my" John - I think the father of the John on the census. Am still trying to work out if this excludes the younger John from my possibles!

Thanks you for your help and confirmation of the baptism - much appreciated!
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk