Author Topic: Peter Dougherty from Letterkenny  (Read 2988 times)

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Dougherty from Letterkenny
« on: Monday 10 September 12 16:01 BST (UK) »
I have been able to find out a huge amount about my GGG Grandfather, Peter Dougherty, born in Letterkenny c1800, from his military records, census information and from Tasmania records office. He joined the British army in Scotland in 1819 and travelled to Australia, Portugal and India (with the 63rd Regiment) and eventually settled and died in Liverpool, where his children grew up. However, I really don't know anything about his Irish family or how to find out who his parents were or where I could search local records? I'd be really grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction? Many thanks

Denis
Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Dougherty from Letterkenny
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 12 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just wondered if anyone might be able to help me and let me know how to find the birth record of Peter Dougherty. I was in Liverpool at the weekend and found his burial place in Ford cemetery. He's in an umarked paupers grave with fourteen others, mainly children. Any advice would be most welcomed.

Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 12 13:14 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate. Therefore, you'll need to see if any church records survive that will include a baptism for Peter.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 12 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, what denomination was Peter Dougherty? Do you have any other details about his place of birth apart from Letterkenny?

It is doubtful anyway whether any record survives of his birth from the time period, if he was born in Letterkenny it would come under the Parish of Conwal, no birth records survive from the early 1800's, the earliest surviving records are from the Presbyterian church and they begin in 1821.

Dougherty/Doherty is also a difficult name to research in Donegal as it is/was very common so any surviving land records will be of little use without a precise townland to tie Peter to a location.

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 09:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks joemc.  Apart from census records indicating he is from Ireland, the most accurate information on his birthplace is from his discharge papers which says he was "born in the parish of Kilmacrane (this is probably recorded inaccurately by the officer and should be 'Kilmacrenan') in or near the town of Letterkenny in the county of Donegal". The only substantial clue about his denomination being that Ford cemetery (where he is buried) is a Roman Catholic cemetery. Neither of which is a great help I know. However, the spelling of 'Dougherty' is consistent. Looks like I may have hit a dead end?

Offline lynne georgina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, Dennis. It is great to see you are still plugging away at the family details. This is Lynne McCarrick here from Runcorn, Cheshire, England. Forgive me stating the obvious but I am struggling to remember a few things so I'll state the obvious to be clear.
You kindly sent lots of information to my husband, David, several years ago. I need to let you know that my David sadly passed on (to meet our amazing ancestors, I'm sure!) in July 2012, so I haven't been doing much of this research for a while. However, I have just spent a couple of days dabbling and digging in the families that stem from Peter Dougherty, namely his daughters Bridget, Hannah, Elizabeth, Ellen and never-to-be-forgotten Jane, who grew to be my Dave's great grandmother. The one that kicked it all off again was Ellen, since her name seems to attract much of the heartache, sorrow and loss in Dave's family throughout the generations. So I'm back seeking what happened to her after her husband died when she wasn't far off delivering their daughter Mary Ellen, in 1872. I find her in a convent school and her mother disappears, apart from maybe working as a stewardess on The Arizona out of Liverpool for a few years, 1880 to 1882.
So I'm just touching base, letting you know that I do have lots of info, and lots still to find, but mostly how much I miss my amazing mate. He really is one of a kind, with KIND being the operative word. Best thing that ever happened in my life. So thanks for helping him with your info as you enriched his life. He ADORED finding his ancestors.
Take care, Dennis. x x LYNNE MCCARRICK

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 March 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynne,

I've sent a personal message,

Denis