Author Topic: wilson in overton, flint  (Read 7127 times)

Offline DEW1942

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
wilson in overton, flint
« on: Wednesday 12 September 12 19:51 BST (UK) »
So far my research on this family pre-1800 has been via trees on FamilySearch etc - often to be taken with a grain of salt! So this is a request for a lookup of the original record.

My ancestor William Wilson was christened (maybe born) in Overton on 30/12/1781. He took his mother's name, Anne Wilson, a sure sign that she wasn't married. There is a fair amount of anecdotal evidence that the father was Richard Parry Price, the local squire (despite the fact that he refers to his then lawfully wedded wife, Anne Puleston, in his will, as 'my dear wife' and she to him on his memorial as 'a tender husband').

Does anyone know if the father's name is given on the christening record, and if so, is it Richard Parry Price? And as a supplementary, is there a record of another child, Charles Wilson, born to Anne Wilson and Richard Parry Price, christened (or born) 7/9/1766?

Incidentally, William Wilson died at 40, leaving a widow Catherine nee Davi(e)s. I have good documentation for the conversion of her, as a widow, and some of her children to Mormonism at an early date - and for her emigration to America by sailing ship then steamboat on the Mississippi, finally at 60 being one of the oldest women to undertake the overland trek to Salt Lake City only a year after Brigham Young founded the settlement in Utah. She died in Utah at the age of 96. They don't make them like that any more!

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: wilson in overton, flint
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 12 00:06 BST (UK) »
Although much later I have Wilson family from Overton in my Tree starting with a Charles Wilson born in 1811.I don't have access to the Overton records here at home but if you are prepared to wait a little I will shortly be viewing them at the Clwyd FHS Resource Centre at Cefn Mawr.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 12 14:18 BST (UK) »

http://freespace.virgin.net/jill.farndon25/index.html

Well there certainly are those names in the Transripts.
 Key. 8 Overton Vol 3(2) Baptisms 1755-1782 Burials 1755-1782

8 Overton:   WILSON  Ann, Anne, Charles, Christian, John, Mary, Thomas, William;
8 Overton:PARRY-PRICE
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline DEW1942

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 September 12 20:25 BST (UK) »
Although much later I have Wilson family from Overton in my Tree starting with a Charles Wilson born in 1811.I don't have access to the Overton records here at home but if you are prepared to wait a little I will shortly be viewing them at the Clwyd FHS Resource Centre at Cefn Mawr.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Family trees on Ancestry.co.uk have Charles Wilson b 1811 Flintshire m. Sarah Griffiths (b. 1811 Erbistock Denbigh) ; parents Charles Wilson( b. 1789 Overton) and Elizabeth Jones (b. 1793) m. Overton 30/7/1810 - not guaranteed reliable but may give you a quick entry to the search. If you come across either Charles b 1766 or William b 1781 do let me know

Offline DEW1942

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 September 12 20:29 BST (UK) »

http://freespace.virgin.net/jill.farndon25/index.html

Well there certainly are those names in the Transripts.
 Key. 8 Overton Vol 3(2) Baptisms 1755-1782 Burials 1755-1782

8 Overton:   WILSON  Ann, Anne, Charles, Christian, John, Mary, Thomas, William;
8 Overton:PARRY-PRICE

Thanks - I need to look at the original (so must travel up to Flintshire some time) to check that Anne Wilson and Richard Parry Price are explicitly linked.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 September 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
Yes with regards to the Charles Wilson(1811),he did indeed marry my relative Sarah Griffiths.It might have been my Tree you were looking at!I will check again this Charles's baptism when I go to the Clwyd FHS Resource Centre at Cefn Mawr.Who knows he may connect with yours!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 September 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
As you've mentioned Trees on Ancestry,there is one which has my Charles Wilson as being the son of a Charles Wilson born Overton in 1790.This Charles in turn is Given as the son of a Charles Wilson and an Ann "Byolin" who married in Overton in 1786.There is no birthyear for this Charles though.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline norma_jess

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 September 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
The baptism only has Anne Wilson named, you can view it on  the Findmypast site.
North Wales Denbighshire .Williams. Hopwood.
Flintshire. Williams. Griffiths. Clarke. Hopwood.
Cheshire. Darlington. Stubbs.
Staffordshire. Darlington. Stubbs. Fieldhouse. Biddulph.
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancashire. Johnson/Johnston. Bebbington. Harris. Pimlott.
Cumberland. Marriner. Tuddenham. Crozier, Bell. Johnson/Johnston. Norman.
Northumberland.  Marriner. Leathard. Common
Norfolk. Tuddenham. Rolfe. Rosier.

Census information is Crown Co

Offline DEW1942

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 September 12 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I'll go to the local Record Office which subscribes to FindMy Past and have a look.

Going back to the original question, we've now turned up Robert Wilson's burial records from Cassia, Idaho, which name his father (the reputed son of Richard Parry Price) as "William Price Wilson"

http://www.interment.net/data/us/id/cassia/oakley/oak_nz.htm