Author Topic: Powells/Morgans of Cwmpadest, Crai and Devynock, Brecon  (Read 11448 times)

Offline sasha12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Powells/Morgans of Cwmpadest, Crai and Devynock, Brecon
« on: Wednesday 12 September 12 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Does anyone have any info about the following:-

Elinor
Birth1746 in Devynock, Breconshire, Wales;Death10 JAN 1836 in Devynock, Breconshire, Wales. Her maiden name unknown.
 She married William Powell (Gent) born 1743 Cwm Padest, Breconshire died 1795 in Devynock. A daughter Margaret born 1775 in Devynock
Margaret married a Morgan Morgans born 1777 in Llwyll, Brecon, died 16 Aug in CefnCoed, Cymmer, Devynock.
children Rachel born 1802 in devynock and John
Rachel married a Thomas Powell born 1800   

Many thanks.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Powells/Morgans of Cwmpadest, Crai and Devynock, Brecon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 12 17:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!   ;D

There's a will online at the National Library of Wales of a William Powell, yeoman farmer of Devynnock. The will was written in 1784, proved 1794, the executrix being William's widow Elinor.

The will mentions various relatives, but not a daughter Margaret, or any children for that matter. Bequests go to
nephew Penry (?) Powell, under 18 at time will was written, son of William's brother Thomas
nephew William, under 18, son of deceased sister Margaret Jones
brother John Powell
sister Ester, wife of John Thomas
Anne Lloyd, under 21, daughter of John Lloyd, deceased, of Trallong
another daughter of the same John Lloyd, also under 21, called Ma???
Thomas, under 21, son of the same John Lloyd
nephew John, son of John Thomas
Watkin, son of brother-in-law Harry Lloyd
nephew Thomas, son of brother Thomas
All the bequests except one are to be paid only if Elinor isn't pregnant at the time of William's death.

http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

Margaret's baptism appears in 1776
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline sasha12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 October 12 19:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information which I shall look into.

Offline garfydd

• I am sorry but my email address has been disabled
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 16:04 BST (UK) »
My gd.mother was a caretaker in Cwmpadest in the 1920s-1940s, for Miss Powell W.S.Mare.  David Lewis farmed at the time. I have a lot of data on the family. A will of ca 1700 divides up a large estate in Defynog & the Powells got Cwmpadest, Cwmnewynydd, Gochgarreg & Pentreucha. My cousins now farm Cwm---& Goch---. I have covered all the areas which you mention. Much of my data comes off the deeds of Pentreucha.
Elinor 1836 left a will. My surveys for Defynog P.Ch. & Horeb Cray contain graves for this family. The family has a Rev. who seems to have been without a church! This email comes from my local library.
Cefncoedycymmer is not in Defynog, it is on the N.edge of the coalfield close to Merthyr Tydfil.
Garfydd

Offline sasha12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 20:12 BST (UK) »

Garfydd,

Many thanks for the info on the Powells of Cwmpadest, all very interesting. What a coincidence that your Grandmother was a caretaker there. I would be grateful for any further information.

I googled a few names at the weekend and got in touch with a lady from NZ who it seemed was researching the same family back in 2006. I seems that her ancestor Mary and my Elinor were sisters and the brother was Walter Powell Attorney for Brecon. The parents being David and Margaret Powell of Abersenny. It seems there is a connection with Clydach Ironworks.

I have been told that there should be some information in the Book History of Brecnok by Theophilus Jones (must have a read of this book) Do you know if the Morgans were related to the Jeffreys of Llywel?

I wonder if you can help with Elinor's daughter Margaret who married Morgan Morgans from Llywel, the daughter Rachel married a Thomas Powell who I believe might have been a Blacksmith in Devynock. I would love to find out where they are buried. I have visited Devynock Church on a few occasions but at the time the graves I found with the surname Powell did not ring any bells.

Thank You.

Offline garfydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 11:07 BST (UK) »
Sasha 12  your line= jenkin Jones will 1716
                         Mary Jones=Wm.Powell 1717
                         Llewelyn Powell=Margaret Powell, bond 1740          M.I.
                         William Powell=Elinor Powell 1774                            M.I.
                         Llewelyn Powell=Gwen Watkins                               M.I.
                                 William Powell single will/admon.  1894           M.I.
                                 sister Mary single will 1893                              M.I.
M.Is  at Defynog Church & Horeb C.M., Cray re my surveys.
Will check reconstructions for the Morgan Morgan thing.
The connection with Abersenny is by marriage?, will check my recons.  I am not confident that Walter Powell family is linked with that of Cwmpadest, will check my records . Powell is a very frequent name in S.W.Brecs-most unconnected. All Welsh surnames were patronymic up to ??? Garfydd

Offline sasha12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 October 12 18:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info.

I have been given a copy of a Powell Tree (I think it is from book THE HISTORY OF BRECKNOCK)

On it it lists a Elinor Powell who married a William Powell of Cwmpadest, her sisters are Sarah, Mary, Margaret and a brother Walter. The name Walter, is in my line my Grandfather, Ggrandfather and GGgrandfather.

Will try and find further information at the weekend. 

Offline garfydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 October 12 11:59 BST (UK) »
Treat the Theo.Jones Powell tree with caution. He gives few, if any, dates and I cannot always match all of his with the church registers. The tree on p.252(vol.4?) can be used but I have detected errors-he used gravestones at Defynog Church for some help.
garfydd

Offline sasha12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 October 12 18:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that info, I thought it odd as there are no dates on the Tree.