Author Topic: Powells/Morgans of Cwmpadest, Crai and Devynock, Brecon  (Read 11447 times)

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Powells/Morgans of Cwmpadest, Crai and Devynock, Brecon
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 13:42 BST (UK) »
Bit of a thread hijack- sorry!! - but I saw Powell, Morgan and Devynock and got all excited!!
These names all show up in the Powell of Glyntarell tree by Theo. Jones (History of Brecknockshire, Vol.2, p. 687)
My interest is in the Davies family but I would love to know more about Lewis ap Hoel ap Lewis (Lewis Powell Lewis) who is head of the tree and any advice on how to trace the various places mentioned - I assume they are farms etc - would be great.

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 October 12 11:35 BST (UK) »

There's a will online at the National Library of Wales of a William Powell, yeoman farmer of Devynnock. The will was written in 1784, proved 1794, the executrix being William's widow Elinor.

The William and Elinor POWELL that Sasha is looking for lived and farmed at Cwmpadest.  Their son Llewelin and then his children lived at Cwmpadest until the 1890s, so I don't think that the above William, yeoman of Devynock is the right one.   :-\

I am not confident that Walter Powell family is linked with that of Cwmpadest …

I would agree that Theo JONES should be treated with caution, but in mitigation in this instance:

-  Theo JONES had a very distant connection to Walter POWELL (attorney of Brecon) through Walter's wife, Ann PRYTHERCH of Llandeilo'r-fan.
-  Walter and Theo were both living/working in the town of Brecon at the same time, probably in the same 'social' set.
-  Walter POWELL and his partner John JONES were witnesses to Theo's will written 1810.

It would be nice to imagine that Theo checked with Walter about his family before publishing his History.

In Walter POWELL's will of 1824, his sister Elinor POWELL (and/or her children) was to receive one-sixth of his estate which included his share in the Clydach Ironworks.

A Bill of Complaint was made in 1836 against the executor of Walter's will (John JONES) for not trying hard enough to sell Walter's interest in the Clydach Ironworks.  The plaintiffs included Llewellyn POWELL and Margaret MORGAN widow — two of Elinor's children(?)

... but I would love to know more about Lewis ap Hoel ap Lewis (Lewis Powell Lewis) who is head of the tree ...

I don't have a full version of Theo JONES' History so can't comment on the Glyntarell POWELLs.  What is Lewis ap Hoel ap Lewis' wife's name, and their children's names?

Sasha
I have a paper photocopy of Elinor's will which is a bit easier to read than on the NLW website.  I'll dig it out and send you a copy later today.

Cheers
Koromo
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 October 12 13:13 BST (UK) »
No wifes name listed - sons listed as Hugh Powell, who married Lucy (daughter of Rees William John Vychan) and John Lewis Powell, who married Elinor.
Hugh Powells line ends up at Lewis Powell, a Vicar at Donnington and Esther Powell, who married William Davies of Bronllys Castle.
William Daviess Granddaughter - Esther - married Richard Banks, who I can trace my male line back too.
This tree was one of the first bits of information I had at the start of my journey and I've always wondered if there was more to know about Lewis ap Hoel ap Lewis, abd William Davies for that matter but haven't ever got around to looking in to him/them!

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 October 12 13:54 BST (UK) »

Hi bean

No, must be a different (branch?) family. Attorney Walter POWELL's father was Howell POWELL (1680-1758) of Baylie, Devynock, whose father was Lewis POWELL of Senny, Devynock, whose father was Howell LEWIS of Senny.

As Garfydd has said, the POWELL name was very common in the Devynock area, and damn near impossible to disentangle.

Good Luck with your lot!  :)

Koromo
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 October 12 22:34 BST (UK) »
There are an awful lot of Davies families in that area and they are all related, as far as I know.  There is a book called Roots & Branches by T O Evans which traces the roots of some of the families of the area but I'm not sure whether or not your Davies roots are included, obviously. 

Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk