Author Topic: Death certificate  (Read 8762 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death certificate
« on: Wednesday 12 September 12 21:30 BST (UK) »
How can I find a death certificate for a relative who may have died during the war.

All I have been able to find is a memorial in the Brookwood Memorial Cemetery, England that mentions the name of George Harold Russell Bell, private in the 10th HD battalion of the Gordon Highlanders who died on 19 February 1940.

The name is written on Panel 14, column 2 of the said memorial.

What is throwing me, is that my relative was born in Northumberland - so why would he have joined the Gordon Highlanders?

Obviously, until I can find a death certificate showing his age and the name of his parents, I can't be sure this is the correct person.

Is there a way to get a death certificate?

Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificate
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 21:40 BST (UK) »

Name:George BELL

Initials:G H R

Birthplace:Newcastle-On-Tyne

Residence:Aberdeen

Branch at death:Infantry

Regiment, Corps etc.:The Gordon Highlanders

Branch at 01/09/39:

Regiment, Corps etc.:

Number:2871608

Date died:19 February 1940

Theatre of war:United Kingdom

cant see him in army deaths,,,maybe he died in Scotland.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 21:52 BST (UK) »

Name:George BELL

Initials:G H R

Birthplace:Newcastle-On-Tyne

Residence:Aberdeen

Branch at death:Infantry

Regiment, Corps etc.:The Gordon Highlanders

Branch at 01/09/39:

Regiment, Corps etc.:

Number:2871608

Date died:19 February 1940

Theatre of war:United Kingdom

cant see him in army deaths,,,maybe he died in Scotland.

My relative, George Harold Russell Bell was born on 29 September 1896, in Ovingham, Northumberland (which could possible have been transcribed as Newcastle).

I just wish I could find out the age of the person who died on 19 February 1940 - but only a death certificate could confirm that.

Were deaths of Armed Service Personnel not registered?
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 22:45 BST (UK) »
It will be registered as an overseas death if occurred abroad. I have a cert for my granddads nephew, it says somwhere in france or belgium on the top of the cert, it's a standard cert for the war. He was missing, time had elapsed and was presumed dead in ww1. At least i got his date of birth on the back of the cert. You know at once when you look at the cert it's different to other certs, it what strikes you when you look at it.

Offline Hazel Park

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 23:04 BST (UK) »
I found my great uncle's war records online but can't find a death certificate.  After much searching and talking with family I uncovered the memorial plaque sent to his next of kin and slowly have put together the plaque, scroll, memorial poem and a few photographs (scattered throughout the family!)  I know he's buried at La-Neuville-Aux-Larres Military Cemetery at Marne, France.  He was in the 6th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders.

Also after searching for his regiment online I read a book written by a WW1 veteran who served some of his time with the 6th Battalion - Last Man Standing - fantastic read and gave an insight into what these soldiers went through.  I learned that some soldiers who were either too young to enlist or were employed for example in coal mines ran away to enlist in different areas. - Could this be the case with your relative heilanlassie?

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 September 12 00:09 BST (UK) »

Obviously, until I can find a death certificate showing his age and the name of his parents, I can't be sure this is the correct person.

English death certificates do not show parent's names
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 September 12 09:00 BST (UK) »

English death certificates do not show parent's names

Well, that's going to be a disappointment as I've just ordered a death certificate through GRO at a cost of £9.25 using the information that I have.

I always assumed that the date of birth, parents names and informant of death would appear on the certificate.

Watching The Heir Hunters on BBC1, they show their researchers going to the registry office to obtain a death certificate, as in order to further their research, they need to get the names of the parents of the deceased - just goes to show - you shouldn't always believe what you see on TV.

Thanks for your help.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 September 12 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Whilst English & Welsh death certificates don't have parents details, Scottish death certificates do.

Andy

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 September 12 10:40 BST (UK) »
As regards your query about why his birthplace is shown as Newcastle this is probably down to the fact that in the Army Roll Of Honour birthplace is given to the nearest very large town.  Strange but there it is.  Just in case you don't know, "HD" stands for Home Defence.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)