Author Topic: Create shortcut  (Read 2959 times)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Create shortcut
« on: Thursday 13 September 12 08:28 BST (UK) »
    After switching from an IE browser to Firefox, I now find that I can't just right click a page on any site and see the words: Create Shortcut.       So how do I create a shortcut when using the Firefox browser?   

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Create shortcut
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
You go to the website where you want to create the short cut, then click on the circular mark at the side of the name of the website on the address bar and whilst holding the mouse down just move it across to your desktop.  Hope you understand what I mean.

You'll end up with a white square with the top right hand corner turned down with the Mozilla logo in the centre and the name of the website underneath - you can re-name the shortcut by right clicking on it.  I don't like the effect as all the icons look the same.  The other shortcut icons I have for Irfanview, Big Calculator, Windows Snipping Tool etc. look much better, but I copied a shortcut to the desktop for those when I downloaded them.

Lizzie

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 12 14:04 BST (UK) »
  I go to the Website page that I want to make a shortcut to, and that page covers the whole screen.       So when I click the circular mark on the address bar - what do I do then?      (I call the desktop the main page with all the icons on it).        But the desktop with the icons is hidden or has disappeared because I have a website page up.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 September 12 14:41 BST (UK) »
You have to make the page smaller so that you can see the icons on the desktop.  I mean the same thing as you do.  You can do it by either clicking on the box next to the x in the red box on the top right hand corner, or by using your mouse which when you put it on the sides or top of the screen will change to a double ended arrow.  Then just push the mouse across and the screen will shrink.  If you always use a full screen then clicking on the icon at the top of the screen is probably the easiest.

I always have the screen I'm viewing smaller than the total screen size so that I can see icons and open them if I want to, for instance a word document to copy and paste part of an article, or whatever.

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 September 12 15:09 BST (UK) »
Having lots of shortcuts on your desktop can get very confusing, messy and my IT expert nags me it is " Just not done" !!! ???

Rather than use shortcuts, Bookmark the site: ( Firefox instructions)

Go to Bookmarks at top of menu bar, click, check Bookmark this page.

You will then start a list of your most useful sites and you can sort them too. I have a set of consumer pages, travel pages and genealogical pages etc. You can click and drag them about to sort, its very easy.

If you no longer want the site, you can right click the entry and use the delete option.
Donaldson: Langholm
Donaldson: Inverurie
Vann: Ightham Kent
Knibbs: London ( Battersea/ Pimlico)
Longman: Poole
Wakeling:
Vicary

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 September 12 15:17 BST (UK) »

Rather than use shortcuts, Bookmark the site: ( Firefox instructions)

Go to Bookmarks at top of menu bar, click, check Bookmark this page.

You will then start a list of your most useful sites and you can sort them too. I have a set of consumer pages, travel pages and genealogical pages etc. You can click and drag them about to sort, its very easy.

If you no longer want the site, you can right click the entry and use the delete option.

I'd definitely go along with this good advice, it's the way I do it and far easier !  :) :)

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 September 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
Pity.     I wanted to continue as before.       But that white square wasn't appearing because of the full page - which I simply can't reduce.         

Thanks anyway.

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 September 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
And if you really want quick access Firefox also has a Bookmarks toolbar! Give it a try.

Can't understand why you would want to clutter up your desktop with indistinguishable shortcuts :o ??? :-\

Hope you like it

Alan
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 September 12 19:00 BST (UK) »
          I have re-named these short-cuts, so they are not "indistinguishable".        ...I know exactly what they are.        They are named, for instance...... Ancestry  ....Scotlands People .....   Curious Fox .... LFHS ......    sites I use every day.         I turn on the laptop and the desktop is there.       One second and I am right onto the page I need no bother.

I review these icons, getting rid of whichever I haven't been using much,  keeping whichever I am currently using, and adding new ones.

Don't get me wrong, I realize you are quite right in saying that it isn't the normal thing but I confess am not so hot at the technical site and so if something is too complicated I have to get round it by my own methods like this.     

I did see the Bookmark toolbar, but am not clear at all how I would access it; I already put one site onto it, but have no idea what good it did!      Dumb, eh?        I will have a look again.