Author Topic: Broomfield Family in Lauder, Greenlaw area  (Read 7589 times)

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Broomfield Family in Lauder, Greenlaw area
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
From 'The Household Book of Lady Grisell Baillie:

'Alison Brunfield came to be chamber Maid Whit. 1713 her wage with shoes in the year is £1:13:0 (sterling).
There are two Alsion Broomfields christened in Greenlaw, 9th April 1704, daughter of Patrick, and 14th May 1704, daughter of Adam.

Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline MatthewG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 February 18 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Belated thanks for this. Patrick Brounfield was, I think, a younger son of Robert of Slap - the connection is suggested by a letter printed here:
http://digital.nls.uk/scottish-history-society-publications/browse/archive/126711987?mode=transcription

in which he defends himself against allegations of giving intelligence to the 1745 Jacobite rebels re. a potential supply of weaponry. The letter, preceded in the same file by the allegation of treasonable conduct made by the earl of Polwarth's sister, discloses that he had been in the army (was a Chelsea Pensioner) and served in old age as constable in Greenlaw. Probably born about 1680, assuming he was the same Patrick who fathered Alison. The pension fron Chelsea was only granted after 30 years military service.
Matthew

Offline djoligag

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 February 18 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I would like to belatedly join the conversation as I believe that I have Broomfield ancestors in the Lauder area of Berwickshire.  I am authenticated that my 2 x great grandfather was Mark Miller of Kelso, born 1810.  I believe his mother to be Isabel Broomfield born in March 1778 in Lauder.  Isabel's parents are believed to be Mark Broomfield and Elizabeth Tully.  That is all the information that I have and would be grateful to hear if any of these appear of members' family trees.