Author Topic: what happened to JAMES ROACH b,1747  (Read 3633 times)

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
what happened to JAMES ROACH b,1747
« on: Monday 17 September 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
I am trying to look further into my Roach family from Bristol,Gloucestershire,England.I have a document which mentions James Roach.
Contents:
Lease and release1) Solomon Roach of Clifton, accountant. Attorney for James Roach of St.Philip's Charles Town, North Carolina Benjamin Roach of St.Phlip and Jacob, cordwainer,Messuage, brewhouse and stable in Gloucester Lane,Consideration £91.
James who is Solomon and Benjamin's brother is obviously in Carolina in 1777 when the sale of the property mentioned was happening. I cannot find him in England again. Can anyone trace him in Carolina for me? He was the son of Timothy Roach, who died in 1773. His death was the reason for the transfer of property.
Here's hoping!
Helen

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: what happened to JAMES ROACH b,1747
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 22:16 BST (UK) »
No sure if this information is relevant to your James Roach.
Census North Carolina for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840 for James Roach
who married Ruth Spiers/spres/spiars in 1780.
Lived at Salisbury, Rockingham county, North Carolina all census years.
James Roach died in Richmond county North Carolina 23/8/1841.
Ruth Roach died Rockingham County 9/6/1847.
2 Sons from this marriage, William Roach b. 1781 & James Roach, no d.o.b.
Regards Frances

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 00:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Frances
Were ages given for him in any of the censuses? His death in 1841 puts him at 96 when he dies, which is quite old! He is not mentioned in his wealthy brother Solomon's will, made in 1803, so I had thought he had predeceased him.
Best wishes
Helen

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 00:21 BST (UK) »
Just looked at 'find a grave' and his age was given as 88 when he died. It is possibly my James Roach, but not as yet convinced.
Thanks Helen

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen, no the censuses there are not similar to more recent ones, it is quiet far back.  Seems to be  a "plantation", just gives details of people i.e slaves etc. How sure are you of d.o.b for James?

There is also a record of a letter of a pension application by his wife as he had served in The Revolutionary War, but the pension was granted to his sons many years after his death. Regards F :)

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 00:53 BST (UK) »
I know he was baptised 26 June 1747 in Bristol. His brother was the Bristol Harbour-master and probably owed much of his wealth to the Slave trade. However I doubt James would have fought in the Revolutionary War against Britain! But who knows!
Thanks anyway
Helen

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 September 12 00:18 BST (UK) »
Further information has come to light from his father's will written in 1773 - he believed his son,James, to be in SOUTH Carolina. There are probate record indexes on ancestry for a James Roach of Will,Charleston Co, in both 1780 (00002) and in 1783 (00140), can anyone investigate these deaths further for me please? He would have been about 33 or 36 then.
Thanks
Helen

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 18:12 BST (UK) »
Just for completion: Ancestry now has early Wills for South Carolina on line and the James Roach whom I suspected was he,  making his Will on 12 July 1780, is indeed my James Roach. The Will states that he is a rope maker and indeed I have his apprenticeship details and he is a rope maker. He left his property and estate to his wife Elizabeth, and she dies in September 1780 and she leaves her property etc. to her son Charles Snetter rope and line maker! So I surmise she was a widow when she married James. Now Charles dies in 1799, no heirs, and he leaves his property etc. to god daughters and to the local home for Orphans; he is the proud possessor of a two storey house on King Street Road, Charleston, SC.His rope making equipment he leaves to his slave, Brister, whom he emancipates and he leaves £10 to Sarah his slave-housekeeper, also emancipated.
Thanks for all help.
Helen