Author Topic: St Helier Cemetery  (Read 8462 times)

Offline Perth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Helier Cemetery
« on: Tuesday 18 September 12 12:16 BST (UK) »
I will be visiting Jersey from Australia in October & if possible would like to find the graves of my 5 x g grandparents who died in 1835 & 1855 respectively.  At the time of their death they both lived in St Helier so I assume it likely that they are buried in The St Helier cemetery.  Would there be any surviving grave records for this period & if so where would I be able to search them?

Just one other thought as my 5 x grandfather was in the Royal Marines would he perhaps be buried in a naval/military cemetery (if there is one of course)?

Perth

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Helier Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 20:08 BST (UK) »
This page may be of assistance?

http://www.sthelier.je/cemeteries/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Perth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 01:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that website suggestion, unfortunately the records kept for these cemeteries are later than I need.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 07:41 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Jersey Archives?
http://search.jerseyheritage.org/default.aspx

I can't find the article now, but I did read that gravestones from the old Town Church graveyard have been used as paving stones?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Perth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 September 12 07:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes I have tried the Jersey Archives - unsuccessfully unfortunately, however, I will definitely try to visit in person, perhaps someone there may have some suggestions of where to look.

Perhaps I just need to keep my head down and inspect each paving stone? lol!

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 September 12 11:00 BST (UK) »
The Jersey Archive has transcribed records of burials in the St Helier Town Church cemetery from at least 1700. All they will give you is a name and a date although occasionally you might get a 'son of' or a 'widow of'. They do not tell you where individuals were buried and it is unlikely that the graves still exist - unless they were buried either inside or close to the church.

The next oldest St Helier burial ground is Green Street cemetery, I know the memorial inscription records have been transcribed and I think (although I'm not sure) that other records have recently been added.

The Archive staff and volunteers are all extremely helpful, make it your first port of call and they'll be able to tell you if you're wasting your time inspecting paving stones!

Offline Perth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 September 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your advice.  I will certainly make the Archives my first port of call.

I am looking forward to exploring your lovely island.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 September 12 13:07 BST (UK) »
On a recent visit to the archives I found the bare minimum of info in the index books.
Ringrise
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Perth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 October 12 06:58 BST (UK) »
If the Archives prove disappointing I will have to make do with trying to locate the streets they lived in, even though I do not have definte street numbers.  At various times they lived:
Gloucester St, St Helier
3 Belmont Cottage, Belmont St, St Helier
Belmont Place, St Helier
Meadow View, Beaumont, St Helier

Looking at Google maps, most of these streets (although quite long streets) still exist.

I may have a little more luck researching another member of the family: Charles William Herbert Connolly, who between 1900-1908 was a Church of England minister & lived at the Vicarage, St Martin, Jersey with his wife and 3 children.