Author Topic: FH related books from Kindle  (Read 32286 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: FH related books from Kindle
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 September 19 12:59 BST (UK) »

Steve Robinson’s book is due out 3rd December and called The Penmaker’s Wife - according to Fantastic Fiction website. A good place to got to for information on upcoming publications as well as past.
Jo
[/quote]

Thanks Jo for the info on Steve Robinsons next book.... also the website which is not heard of beforebut it's definitely a Keeper!
I've just reserved the book.... also The final Hilary Mantel book on Thomas Cromwell and Robert Haris's new book..... it's going to be costing me a fortune but with a birthday coming up in 3 weeks I'm going to be doing lots of reading over the next the next six month with all these books to look forward to!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 September 19 13:33 BST (UK) »
I am not entirely sure if you can get this book on Kindle - I tend to prefer hard copies - but I would really recommend 'Inheritance' by Dani Shapiro.

I am only a little way into this but I am finding this a totally engrossing non fiction read.

The author on a whim decided to go along with getting a  DNA test when her husband decided to get one for himself.  However, when the results come back it is found that she is not her Father's daughter.  at first she wonders if a mistake has been made.  I won't give anything away but I am getting really caught up in her quest to find out about her biological Father and reevaluate her perception of herself.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 September 19 14:25 BST (UK) »
Another non-fiction book now available for Kindle ...

The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million, by Daniel Mendelsohn

- his 2006 account of a search for information about relatives killed in the Holocaust. A long read, and a very good one.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Online ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 September 19 15:40 BST (UK) »
I love genealogical mysteries too. Along with other Rootschatters i love Steve Robinson and Nathan Dylan Goodwin. If you haven't read any of these i suggest you start at the first one - The order can be found on the Fantastic Fiction website.  Although the stories are complete in themselves, there is a background theme running through them and the series feature the same genealogical detective.   

I've just read Dan Waddell's 'The Blood Detective' which I really enjoyed.  If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can borrow Dan Waddells books for free. You can only borrow one at a time but you can keep them as long as you need them. You can find them on Prime Reading.

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 20:06 BST (UK) »
If anyone has silk weaver ancestors, I would recommend Blackberries and Wild Rose by Sonia Velton.
It is fiction based around the Huguenot weavers in London. I have ancestors ,not Huguenot, that were silk weavers in London then Dulverton Somerset and learned a lot about the silk trade.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 September 19 18:40 BST (UK) »
If anyone has Tyneside ancestors or illegitimacy in their ancestry, Catherine Cookson  is a good author to go to to get a vivid picture of life and attitudes in times past.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 September 19 20:31 BST (UK) »
I have been reading the Seven Sisters series by Lucinda Riley and would recommend it.  The sixth book in the series, ‘The Sun Sister’ is due out later this year.
The first one in the series is call ‘The Seven Sisters’ and it starts when 6 adopted sisters are gathered at their childhood home on the shores of Lake Geneva.  They are told that their adoptive father, an elusive millionaire called Pa Salt has died.  He has left each of them a clue to their true heritage.  Each book focuses on a different sister and each one travels to different places in the world to find out about their past.  Although each book is complete I would definitely recommend reading them in order starting with the first one as it sets the scene for the series.  Although not really genealogical stories, they are about seeking out the past.
Chris

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 November 20 14:41 GMT (UK) »
For fans of Steve Robinson.  His latest book "The Secret Wife" is available on Kindle at £1.99 (was £8.99).  Just downloaded it while it's on offer.  :)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Online ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 November 20 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jool.  I have read this book, it's a good story set in Cornwall.  Good value on Kindle. I like Steve Robinson's books although I must admit I prefer his Jefferson Tayte genealogical mysteries
Chris