Author Topic: FH related books from Kindle  (Read 32340 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: FH related books from Kindle
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 August 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
In the Blood reminds me of the Robert Goddard books I have read. They are all excellent. They are real page turners, but you have to control yourself or you lose the plot. I've got several lined up but I don't want to read them too soon.  Without giving anything away, the first one I read really had me hooked. You just couldn't tell who were the goodies and who were the baddies as he kept playing with your understanding of the plot.

Martin

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 August 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
If you want some none fiction try The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing by Blaine T. Bettinger.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 August 19 23:05 BST (UK) »
Martin - The Lizzard is too far away for me will John O' Groats do instead  ;D ;D

Jool - Thank you I will download the 1st book asap.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 18:47 BST (UK) »
Martin - The Lizzard is too far away for me will John O' Groats do instead  ;D ;D

Jool - Thank you I will download the 1st book asap.

Dorrie

Dorrie, if you get as far as book 7 "Letters from the Dead" it is set in the Scottish Highlands  :)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
Jool - I mentioned the 1st book to my dear husband this morning. He has downloaded it to his kindle. As I don't have one and will have to wait until he has finished I have spent the vast sum of £4.99 and ordered it in paperback from Amazon - delivery tomorrow. Can't wait. :)

Well my birthday is in October so the book can be his present to me. ;D

The man himself has just interrupted my typing to inform me that he is enjoying reading it. He is in no way interested in genealogy.

Thanks for letting me know that the 7th one is set in the Scottish Highlands. I am sure that we will both enjoy reading them all.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 August 19 17:23 BST (UK) »
I have all and read the first 5 of Steve Robinson's books and think they're all fantastic. I've just read that there's a new book out by him in December so that'll be a nice Christmas present for me.

Another very good genealogy writer is Dan Waddell. I read his first two books about a decade ago and see he, too, has a new novel out.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 August 19 00:16 BST (UK) »
I too have read all Steve Robinsons books.... thanks for mentioning he has a new book out in December BenRalph I too shall put that on my Christmas list.
Has anyone read any of Nathan Dylan Goodwin or M.J Lee, Wendy Percival, Geraldine Wall and Peter Hey....
As you can see I'm quite addicted to genealogy based books, may of which have been recommended and reviewed by Peter from Lost Cousins.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 August 19 22:24 BST (UK) »
I have read all of Steve Robinson's books and have read all of the ones by Nathan Dylan Goodwin except his latest - I'm waiting for a price reduction! I really like Nathan D.G's books, in fact I think I prefer them to those by Steve Robinson.

I've just ploughed my way through one called The Vanished Child by MJ Lee - my advice on this would be don't bother to read it.  ::)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 September 19 08:41 BST (UK) »
I have all and read the first 5 of Steve Robinson's books and think they're all fantastic. I've just read that there's a new book out by him in December so that'll be a nice Christmas present for me.

Another very good genealogy writer is Dan Waddell. I read his first two books about a decade ago and see he, too, has a new novel out.

Steve Robinson’s book is due out 3rd December and called The Penmaker’s Wife - according to Fantastic Fiction website. A good place to got to for information on upcoming publications as well as past.
Jo
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor