Author Topic: where do i begin to trace my irish relatives  (Read 6264 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where do i begin to trace my irish relatives
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 20:20 BST (UK) »
Having difficulty finding Bridget in census records after 1880 and this might be the reason (from www.familysearch.org)-

Bridget Gallagher, born c1847, parents- Thomas Dean & Hanora Reddy, married 29 Dec.1894 Providence, R.I. to Michael Thuot.
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
Possible death for Terence ? (site not working properly at the moment so unable to see image)

Terence Gallagher, age 53, died 26 Oct.1884 Fall River, Mass. (24 Branch St.?), married, parents- Thomas & Nora (all born Ireland)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N72P-5Z4

Rose Gallagher, daughter of Terence & Bridget, died age 15 in 1885:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NWW8-3FN

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 23:36 BST (UK) »
Excellent work aghadowey.  :D

Just to pick up on the story about James supposedly being killed in an accident - it is likely that there will be newspaper reports about this, and of course you could purchase his death certificate to find out his cause of death.

Offline georgia1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 23:46 BST (UK) »
thank everyone,aghadowey are these all of bridget and terrence children for sure i cannot access the links you sent me,i do know that bridget is buried in st ann's cemetary sec k there is a patrick as well but as for terrence i have no info at all on him,the terrence that died in fall river was that my great grandfather and do you have his mothers maiden name,you posted a marriage for thomas dean and honora reddy as 12/29/1894,was that in providence rhode island cause i will go to the archives,i also saw bridget with that michael guy in the archives but on her death cert it only list she was the widow of terrence gallagher,i want to add this info to my family tree but will wait till i know for sure,the only thing i do know is bridget did have a son patrick,and when my grandmother margaret died her obit only states her living sibling as ellen.the only thing i know on ellen is she married someone name walsh,st ann's cemetary list the owner of the grave where my great grandmother bridget is buried as ann hazard dont know where she fits in,very confused margarets daughter margaret e avery was born a murphy supposly my grandmother margaret married a james murphy before marrying my grandfather antone,margaret avery is also buried with bridget in sec k her date of death is 10-15-1961 i have her death cert,her husband severain harry avery is buried there as well his date of death is listed as 9-14-1972,how do i get records from fall river especially if terrence my great grandfather died there

Offline georgia1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 23:50 BST (UK) »
ruskie,i cannot find anything on james unless i have dated my calculation is according to margaret e averys death cert,it list she was born in 1897,her parents being james murphy and margaret v gallagher,now according to city halls records they have my grandparents antone sousa and margaret v gallagher marrying 12-14-1899,so james had to died in between 1897 and the time my grandparents died,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 September 12 00:50 BST (UK) »
"you posted a marriage for thomas dean and honora reddy as 12/29/1894,was that in providence rhode island"
No, I said Bridget Gallagher, daughter of Thomas & Honora, married 29 Dec.1894 in Providence.
"terrence that died in fall river was that my great grandfather and do you have his mothers maiden name,"
Death registration at that period doesn't list mother's maiden name.
"only thing i know on ellen is she married someone name walsh"
Catherine Gallagher married Walsh.

"according to margaret e averys death cert,it list she was born in 1897,her parents being james murphy and margaret v gallagher"
Wonder if her date of birth is incorrect as mother Margaret Gallagher was born 1882.

1900 Census- Fall River, Mass.:
Bridget Gallagher, Jan.1841, Ireland, to US 1875, 5 children/5 living
daughter Alice Gallagher [Ellen?], Aug.1876, Mass., coton spooler
dau. Margaret Sousa, Feb.1879, Mass, m.4 yrs, 1 child/1 living
son-in-law Antoine Sousa, Aug.1861, Portugal, to US 1890, day laborer
grdau. Annie Sousa, Apr.1900, Mass.

1910 Census- 99 Oregon St., Fall River: Antonio Souza 35, Margaret 28, Annie 9, John F. 7, Helen 7, Laretta 2, Mary 7 months.

Added- Margaret's age given as 16 in marriage register-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11109-163937-23?cc=1469062&wc=6961459

You should be able to click on the links I posted which will take you to the page but you can also copy a link then paste & go/search in your browser bar.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 September 12 01:05 BST (UK) »
Margaret Murphy, daughter of Joseph Murphy (born Providence, R.I.) & Margaret Gallagher (born Fall River, Mass.) was born 15 Jan.1897 Fall River, Mass.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FXXX-ZLP

Offline georgia1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 September 12 04:45 BST (UK) »
aghadowey,i could not view that link,some of this info is incorrect,annie sousa 4 1900 mass was not antonios granddaughter,they had a daughter annie i was very surprise that you came up with names of their actual children,see annie was killed in an automobile accident in 1953 my dad never liked to talk about it,i just found out her date of death an along with the help of the funeral home she went to they send me via email the death thing but it only list sousa as her dad,john was murdered in 1933 in new haven conn,i have his death cert,along with a little article writing back then,but i am confused with the marriage aqccording to margarets oldest daughters death cert it list my grandmother margaret v gallagher and james murphy not john,as parents and on my grandmothers obit she list 2 of her children that i never knew 1 being annie r sousa pierce,and the other as margaret e murphy avery,maybe your getting antone info wrong his parents were joao sousa and maria loda they also from ireland i appreciate all your help,and hope to go further i have writen eveything down to check my local archives and city hall,so please whatever you find let me know again thank you.

Offline georgia1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 September 12 04:47 BST (UK) »
if it was joesph murphy and not james how do i locate him,