Author Topic: Burial Query  (Read 6278 times)

Offline frank

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Burial Query
« on: Sunday 18 January 04 18:57 GMT (UK) »
can you tell me how to get records of my grandfathers headstone ,i visted the cemetry in maryhill ,glasgow ,but there is no headstone to be found, i belive the name of the cemerty is st. kentigerns ,not sure if this is the right spelling.
            frank

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Links: Cemetery Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 January 04 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I don't know myself Frank, but I'm hoping that somebody might be able to help you - I've searched on Google and I think (from what I found on Google) thaty the St. Kentigern is in "Lambhill" and not  "Maryhill" - but I might be wrong!
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline nenny4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Links: Cemetery Records
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 March 04 23:09 BST (UK) »
hi lambhill cemetery and st kentigerns is close by both are in lambhill  happy hunting was at lambhill myself locating ancestors and relatives ...if you have the date of the death/deaths you can contact the glasgow council/corporations parks department they will contact you with the exact location of the graves in questions...cheers helen
Marshall / Thaw / Gowan from Livingston and Kirknewton areas West Lothian  Scotland..... Lough Families Clones Ireland and Glasgow Scotland and U.S.A........ Mckenzie /Glencoe Scotland

Offline nissank

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Query
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 January 14 20:29 GMT (UK) »
hi is there a charge for this please i need to find out the plot number of my gran and great grandparents buried in lambhill and kentigerns when i vist scotland but have so much to do and not a lot of time tx

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 January 14 11:15 GMT (UK) »
hi is there a charge for this

No. you just email or call them and they will help. You may then have the lair number, but pinpointing it in the graveyard without a lair map is impossible. The gravediggers and the council have the maps. Again, I have found them to be extremely helpful in actually taking me to the exact position of the lair.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 January 14 18:04 GMT (UK) »
hi is there a charge for this

No. you just email or call them and they will help. You may then have the lair number, but pinpointing it in the graveyard without a lair map is impossible. The gravediggers and the council have the maps. Again, I have found them to be extremely helpful in actually taking me to the exact position of the lair.

If you have the lair number the Glasgow Council Cemetery staff will assist you by pinpointing the grave for you and even checking to see who else may be buried in that lair - I have made use of their help in this way before. Unfortunately if you don't have the lair number and they are required to do a search of the records they do charge. Previous enquiries by RC members regarding such searches have been quoted figures around £60

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 January 14 20:40 GMT (UK) »
you're kidding me!

I just call or email and the helpful people here (east coast of scotland) supply all the information for free. Had one of the gravediggers call up head office, get the lair number, locate it and take me to it, another time a gravedigger drove to head office to get the lair map, came back and took me to it.

My attempts to get them to actually dig up the cemetery to search for unmarked graves from the 1600s has so far failed to work though.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 January 14 20:54 GMT (UK) »
you're kidding me!

Sadly no.

I just call or email and the helpful people here (east coast of scotland) supply all the information for free. Had one of the gravediggers call up head office, get the lair number, locate it and take me to it, another time a gravedigger drove to head office to get the lair map, came back and took me to it.

Glasgow City Council Cemeteries Department have decreed that genealogical enquiries are not part of their core business and decided to charge for any searches that need to be done. Whether the figures quoted to individuals have been set high to act as a deterrent I don't know. That said when I was able to quote a specific lair number they replied free of charge with the full details of who was in the grave and the  ground staff at the actual cemetery assisted in pointing out the location (there was no headstone)

It is rumoured that the head of the department who set this policy has left although whether this leads to long term changes which would benefit genealogy researchers remains to be seen.

The records have also been recently digitised but are not yet available online.

My attempts to get them to actually dig up the cemetery to search for unmarked graves from the 1600s has so far failed to work though.

;D  ;D

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 January 14 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Back in the mid 1980s those gangsters were charging £10 per search. I sent off a request (It was an address in the Trongate in those days if I remember rightly) looking for 4 graves. I gave the exact dates of deaths, names, ages, next of kin, parents names - and no joy with any of them and they kept my £10, which was a lot of money 25 years ago. So it's no surprise to hear that they're still at it. I think the head of department back then was a Mr Richard Turpin.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.