Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 10 Episode 6 Alex Kingston  (Read 16842 times)

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 10 Episode 6 Alex Kingston
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 20 September 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
I thought this was a fantastic episode, one of the best ever! There was some really good research involved, and it wasn't presented in a too heavy handed way as can sometimes be the case.

I also wondered how Eva had managed to marry into a prominent orthodox jewish family given her family background, which surely must have been well know in the locality.

And Alex was fabulous!

Off to do a bit of research of my own now hopefully to fill in some of the gaps!

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 20 September 12 12:21 BST (UK) »
Can anyone remember the names of Elizabeth's children?  I think they were Lewis, Eva (who marries ?Laurence Emmanuel), Sophia (who marries Alfred Morey) and .................?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 20 September 12 12:27 BST (UK) »

by 1881, Sophia has been widowed and is livin at 58 Cochrane St with Eve and Lawrance

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 20 September 12 13:18 BST (UK) »
Sometimes, the census makes things very clear. Here's a detail from 1861 in Manchester (RG9/2948 FOL89 P33).

I wonder how the enumerator knew what the trade was?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 20 September 12 13:21 BST (UK) »
Can anyone remember the names of Elizabeth's children?  I think they were Lewis, Eva (who marries ?Laurence Emmanuel), Sophia (who marries Alfred Morey) and .................?

Just checked on iplayer - Frances was the other child bn c. 1816.

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 20 September 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
 1891  Sophia  is  living  with  her  nephew Joseph Emmanuel,  at 63 Marylebone Lane  ,  there's a Sophia  Morey  death   in 1898  Fulham RD , born 1817

Offline genjan1953

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 20 September 12 14:21 BST (UK) »
"I found it strange that only the son and the grand-daughter were mentioned in the will, no mention of her daughters." (Silvery)

I wondered about that too.  Her three daughters would have been just as economically disadvantaged, by virtue of being female, as her grand-daughter.  This was a fascinating episode and they cannot cover every loose end, I know, but there were rather a few too many facts uncovered which were left hanging in mid air, so to speak.  Methinks the programme would have to be extended to two hours to truly do justice to all the info gathered and satisfy us all here!    
STOPP in West London and Bucks.  AUGUST, FEHRENBACH in London.  ISAAC, BLUNDELL in Liverpool.  BRANSON, WALSH in Manchester and Bucks.  GUNN in Bucks.  PEACE, STOCKINGS, STARKYN, BULLIN and ROOM in North Norfolk.

Census information Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 20 September 12 14:24 BST (UK) »
Did we see the whole Will?

MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 20 September 12 14:31 BST (UK) »
Did we see the whole Will?

No we didn't

I think too many people are jumping to conclusions here which is ironic as on the other hand people accuse the programme of jumping to conclusions  ???

I think the programme is far more researched than we sometimes give credit for. alas it is sometimes sloppily put together which gives rise to all sorts of needless speculation.

Anyway, that said I enjoyed the programme especially learning about the photographing of the sound waves in WWI - we weren't taught that at school ! and Alex's wonderful reaction to finding out about the bawdier side of her family history  ;)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.