Author Topic: 1722 Marriage Licence in Latin - help?!  (Read 561 times)

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
1722 Marriage Licence in Latin - help?!
« on: Friday 21 September 12 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hello

would be very grateful for help with this one or a pointer to a source where I can work it out? My schoolgirl latin isn't up to the job at all (fluked my GCSE in it!). It's two extracts from a marriage licence from 1722. Have had these before but they have been all in English and am struggling.

If I have missed an easy way to work this out myself then am more than happy to be pointed that way and will have a go at it but a browse through the resources didn't seem to find anything?

Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1722 Marriage Licence in Latin - help?!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry should have put up what I know.

It's Thomas Archer of Welford in Northants and I think it says batchelor (but could be butcher??) and Edward Clark of West Haddon, Northants who was a schoolmaster. Date was 25 Nov 1722.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 12 17:59 BST (UK) »
Let all know by these presents; we Thomas Archer of Welford in the county of Northampton, butcher, and Edward Clark of Westhaddon in the said county, schoolmaster, are bound and firmly obliged to the Reverend father in Christ and lord, the lord White, Bishop of Peterborough.

..... sealed with our seals, dated the 24th day of the month of November in the ninth year of the reign of our lord George, by the grace of God of Great Britain, France and Ireland King, Defender of the Faith &c and in the year of our Lord 1722.

The Bishop of Peterborough at that time was called White Kennett. Interestingly, the clerk left the occupations in English, rather than put them into Latin.

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 September 12 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you GR2, and for such a quick reply too. Doubt I would ever have got all that on my own and would have gone with batchelor so is much appreciated.  :)