Author Topic: ALLIN family IFFLEY  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Trevor Hadley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ALLIN family IFFLEY
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 11:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is the marriage. I can't find the marriage register online.

I have had a brief look around, but the only William Hissey in the area seems to have been deported to Australia - maybe he came back, I think some did - but I see no Elizabeth as a daughter. Maybe there was a different William.

I have 'my' Elizabeth Hissey as dying in Iffley - which I had presumed to be her mother's (Mary Allin) family home. My primary source seems to have been wikitree https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Hissey-1 where the info appears to have come from Salt Lake City records. I will try and check one day at our local Family History Centre, but, presumably, the info will be the same.

BUT, of course, you are right, marriage at 40 and then 3 sons seems very unlikely.

Offline Trevor Hadley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry, 1 son, 2 daughters.

Offline Hissey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 14:16 BST (UK) »
There was an Elizabeth Lovelock buried in Beenham on 5th August 1827 aged 70 (so born in about 1757) - see the Berkshire Burial Index on FindMyPast.  This may, or may not, have been "your" Elizabeth, wife of James Lovelock.  Check the original of the entry for any more clues.  If so, then it doesn't fit with the Elizabeth Hissey of Longworth as the ages don't match (although sometimes ages were approximate).  It may have been another Elizabeth Lovelock though.  No obvious burial for James Lovelock in Beenham though - your wikitree source has him as dying in 1822 in Crondall, Hampshire, which seems unlikely though it is of course possible.  Wikitree again is simply a place where people put their family trees, which are only as good as the research which has gone into them, so always check the sources and never rely on someone else's research unless you can trust it.

The William Hissey who died in Beenham in 1790 was a pauper, according to the Berkshire Burial Index - there might be more information on him amongst parish chest records for the parish (eg records of the overseers of the poor) if these records survive for Beenham.  Try the Berkshire record office to see what records of the Beenham parish they hold.

Offline Trevor Hadley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 15:09 BST (UK) »
Can't thank you enough for your clues.

I think I will settle for a John Hissey and Sarah Champ both of Beenham as parents of Elizabeth. There seem to have been older siblings Mary, Joseph, Sarah and Robert. It still makes her a little old for marriage and children but I will leave it there until I can get to actual records.

I take your point re:wikitree but was reassured by the reference to "British Isles Vital Records" as source. I will try and delete the marriage there - that, at least, we know(!) to be incorrect.

Thanks again

Offline Roly_J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 November 21 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I’m late to the party but wondered if I could pick your collective brains.

I’ve only just come across the Allin family having previously misread/mis transcribed a marriage.

I have Ann Allen/Allin (1721-1779) of Littlemore as married to Richard Rowland of Water Eaton, Oxon.

From this thread and some other research I have Ann as daughter of John Allin and Elizabeth White.

I wondered if there had been any luck tracing the Allin and White families back? Some provisional research indicated that Elizabeth may just be related to John White et al who were involved in the Dorchester Company and established the state of Massachusetts (would be lovely if this were so!)

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Roland