Author Topic: BARKHAM of RISBY lookup *COMPLETED*  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Adamb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BARKHAM of RISBY lookup *COMPLETED*
« on: Monday 24 September 12 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hello -

1  There were more Barkhams in Risby than I can shake a stick at.  But what I would really like to know is, what is the earliest record of a Barkham in that parish.  There are so many baps, mars, and burs that I don't want to overburden anyone: but if the earliest Barkham baptism and/or burial can easily be found that would be a great help!

2 Samuel Barkham is said to have been born in Risby about 1832 - could you have a look and see if there is a baptism, please?

many thanks

Adam
Warren (Norfolk), England (Bristol area), Adams (Wilts), Barkham (Suffolk), Elsdon (Norfolk), Crew (Gloucs), Bunting (Norfolk), Matthews (Wilts)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BARKHAM of RISBY lookup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 September 12 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam

What are the earliest records you already know of - do you have the information in this thread?:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ukd0jsb4la2if1bpv9c9fqt1u7&topic=517103.0
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Adamb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 12 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

And thanks for that message, leaving me very chastened in that I had not thought to cross-check with Dean Barkham who is a very remote cousin.

To be honest, I suppose I ought really to go to Ipswich from here in France and search out the full details of the Risby register for myself.

Dean's messages did contain one or two extra facts.

However - I have no details further back than Charles Barkham who married his Thomasin in 1737.  We are trying to establish a link with Barkhams who came from Norfolk and were lord mayors of London.

That is why I'm interested in Risby: when did they come into the parish?

If there is no record earlier than Charles marrying in 1737 then I can assume he came from elsewhere - so if you or anyone else has the means of finding whether Barkham as a surname goes no earlier than 1737 in Risby, that would be a great clue towards establishing the family's movements.

Over to you - and thanks again -

Kind regards

Adam Bunting

Warren (Norfolk), England (Bristol area), Adams (Wilts), Barkham (Suffolk), Elsdon (Norfolk), Crew (Gloucs), Bunting (Norfolk), Matthews (Wilts)

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 September 12 17:28 BST (UK) »
Taken from Risby parish register

Samuel s/o Edward and Fanny Barkham late Sargeant of Risby
Edward = a shoemaker
Born 28th November, baptised 2nd December 1832

(Couldn't see a marriage for Edward and Fanny at Risby)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 September 12 08:00 BST (UK) »
Boyds marriage index

Charles Barkham
Tomsin Emmins
West Stow

Suffolk Marriage Index

Edward Barkham
Fanny Sargent
9th December, 1831
Barrow

There are Barkham events in West Stow in the 1600s.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adamb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 September 12 08:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Annes & Suffolk Sue:  Many thanks indeed for your help.  I do have quite a lot of baptism & marriage records from Risby and area so don't put yourselves out any more unless I request a specific entry - Dean Barkham also has info.

The baptism of Samuel is a great gap filled.

I shall post separate enquiries no doubt but will close this one:

gratefully yours,

Adam

Offline naomi1991

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BARKHAM of RISBY lookup *COMPLETED*
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 December 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
hi I have got a lot of  information about the barkham family, and other surnames who are involved. if you interested.. the information I have got, has confused me but dunno if you can understand it.. i got back to 1600's i think. please don't hold me to it, bcos i have written notes, but not in order. feel free to message if ya interested.

Offline Adamb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 December 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
Too busy to say much - wrapping presents and eating mince pies etc.

Great to hear from you.  Might you be related to Naomi Zillah Barkham who married Robert Banks in 1906?  She was my gt-gt-gt-aunt.  My grandmother was Zillah Mary Barkham.

I wrote those Rootschat messages in 2012.  Since then I have had a professional researcher do the Risby searches and further back.. yes, to the late 1600s but there are lots of ???s to sort.

We must exchange email addresses if you are OK about that.  I have loads of information including2 or 3 early wills.

Back to you after Christmas -
best wishes -
Adam Bunting

Offline naomi1991

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 December 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adam,

Not 100% sure . I got a Naomi on my info, but got a lot of other names as well. Just got so confused with it.

Of course you can have my email,

It is nyule1991@gmail.com I have got Facebook as well if that helps.