Author Topic: Hay Family Dead End  (Read 23878 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hay Family Dead End
« Reply #27 on: Monday 05 November 12 22:41 GMT (UK) »
According to FamilySearch, the parents of Alexander Hay, baptised 30th June 1811, were James Hay and Elspet Forsyth.

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 05 November 12 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I just downloaded the baptism record.  I have downloaded each of the children's baptism records - and unfortunately it only gave me a clue regarding father of Elspet Forsyth.  Alexander was born in Elgin, with James being a candlemaker.  I search Libindx for candlemaker with no hits.  So I "shotgun" it looking for James Hay in Moray in SP and get 23 hits - some were much too late.  I guess I have to run down each one - but then there is the chance that James was not born in Moray.

I am wondering if the James Hay/Elspet Forsyth that had Alexander Hay is also the same ones that had William Hay....

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if the James Hay/Elspet Forsyth that had Alexander Hay is also the same ones that had William Hay....

I wondered that too. I haven't found another record of a marriage of a James Hay to an Elspet Forsyth, but that doesn't mean to say it didn't happen.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Great - now I have two of them to worry about :).  I was a bit suspicious because born in Elgin although it is not really far at all, and a candlemaker.  Other documents described him as a laborer.  For now I will make the assumption that it is a different family. 

I have looked on the web about the Duffus Kirk Sessions.  Interestingly there was a lot of turmoil about the Duffus Kirk at that time.  In 1688 it appears that William Hay, an exiled bishop of Moray, appointed a priest Rev. John Stewart.  Perhaps there has to be some relation there. 

How is the best way to obtain the Kirk Sessions for this time frame and Parish?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 16:56 GMT (UK) »
How is the best way to obtain the Kirk Sessions for this time frame and Parish?

That depends where you are. If you can conveniently go to Edinburgh, you can look at them there in the National Archives of Scotland in General Register House in Princes Street.

If you can go to certain other archives in Scotland - Aberdeen and Inverness for instance, but there are others, of which I don't have a complete list - you can view them there.

Otherwise you either have to wait until they are made available on line (this year, next year, sometime .... but not never, I hope) or get a professional searcher to go through them on your behalf.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you....I have also contacted other researching the Hay's in Cummingston and see what information they have.

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 12 November 12 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Assuming that James Hay was born in Moray, I did a quick search via familysearch.org on James Hay, birthplace Moray, with birth date between 1755 and 1768.  I made the assumption that he was between 17 and 30 when he got married.  This produced 10 possibles:

James Hay & Elizabeth Stuart (Bellie)
William Hay and Margaret Forbes (Bellie)
James Hay and Mary Douglas (Bellie)
James Hay and Mary Douglas (Bellie - I can assume that the first one died)
Alexander Hay and Janet Cowie (Bellie)
James Hay - no mother listed (Dyke)
John Hay and Anna Falconar (Raddford)
John Hay and Christian Hay (St. Andrews-Lhanbryd)
William Hay and Jean Johnston (Alves)
Alexander Hay and Margaret Gregor (Elgin)

From SP I obtained one more:
William Hay and Beatrix Paterson (Bellie)

James and Elspet Forsyth had the following children:
Elspat
William
George
Alexander

Elspat's father was William Forsyth  I am assuming since he was a witness at James' son Williams's birth.  So if naming conventions are followed, then the first born son is named after the father's father or mother's father.  So I know that William was his mother's father - so George (or William) would be the Father's father.  However, I can find no George.

I am not sure where to go except to start looking up the baptism records of each of the possible parents - is there a better method to prune the tree?

Thanks

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 15 December 13 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if Orlage could actually be Orlege.  There is a cottage near Edinburgh.  While a good distance away, at least the spelling matches.  I have had no such luck tracking this down

Offline techguy46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 29 December 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I am following the same two Wm Hay and Margaret and their lines, via son James