Author Topic: John Mulligan, Dublin, printer & bookbinder  (Read 6527 times)

Offline 195aph

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mulligan, Dublin, printer & bookbinder
« on: Tuesday 25 September 12 11:11 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate any help with:

JOHN MULLIGAN, who probably died between 1876 and 1881.

in 1855 he is believed to be living at 51 Mountjoy Square, Dublin

His parents were John & Elizabeth Mulligan who lived at 29 Strand Street, Dublin in 1858

He married ELIZABETH CAROLINE McLEAN on 27 Dec 1858 at St Mary's. Dublin, when he lived at 54 Jervis Street.  This marriage was after the birth of his first two children, who were both baptised with his surname.

In all he had four children, all born in Dublin and I have located the Baptism records for all of them.

In 1860/61 he lived at 28 Portland Place, Dublin

According to family lore 'he was believed to have owned a printing works / newspaper in Dublin'

In 1876 Thoms Directory lists him at 16 Wexford Street, Dublin as a newsagent, stationer, printer & bookbinder.

Can anyone help regarding his newspaper / printing background ?

Any help regarding him, especially finding his death would be most welcome.
Mulligan - Dublin, McLean - Dublin, Hadley - Gloucestershire

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Mulligan, Dublin, printer & bookbinder
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 14:10 BST (UK) »
John is listed in Thom's 1868 as follows :

16 Wexford St.
    John Mulligan, news agent, printer, stationer, and bookbinder

he's listed in the trades index under just the Newsagent and Bookbinder categories, so suspect these may have been his principle businesses.

It appears he may have moved (or died), sometimes around 1877 as he's still listed in the Index as a News Agent, but the street listing shows a William Fitzpatrick, news agent & stationer. There are a number of possible deaths for him around that time on the BMD Index.

I'll check for other listings for him later on...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline 195aph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

thanks for your super quick reply.

the premises at 16 Wexford Street was a shop.

Could it have been a lock up, or can we assume he lived there as well ?

Anthony

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 14:30 BST (UK) »
there's no way to be 100% certain as the directory doesn't specify.. in some cases a separate residential address can be included in the street listing.

The Fitzpatrick family (William's widow and children) lived at the address in 1901, so I'd say your Mulligans did too.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 14:59 BST (UK) »
might help narrow down the dates a little...

IrishGenealogy shows a baptism of a Fred Mulligan with parents Joseph and Johanna at 16 Wexford street in June 1876 - maybe Joseph was one of John's sons ?

In May the next year there's a baptism of a Catherine Fitzpatrick to a William and Catherine - which fits with the 1877 and 1901 listings.

Based on an estimate of John's age and the years you mentioned, here are the likely matches for his death on the Index:

John Mulligan b1820-1839, died 1876-1881

the three in Dublin south seem the best fit..

There are a number of John Mulligan records on Glasnevin website around that date, but none seemed to include a Wexford St address. An age from a death cert should help confirm if one of these is correct.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline 195aph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Joseph Nicholas Mulligan (1855-1928) was one of John's children.

Joseph's son Frederick John Mulligan was born 12th June 1876 at 16 Wexford Street (his Grandparent's house) according to his birth certificate  His mother & father were residing at 20 North Brunswick Street at that time.

My own online research also came to the conclusion that John died around 1876/7 based on the time it took to publish a directory.

Is there any way to access the death index online ?  or would it be necessary to order all three death certificates to ascertain which, if any, was the correct death ?

He married Elizabeth Caroline McClean at St Mary, Pro Cathedral,  on 27 Dec 1858.   Is that a Catholic church ?  and would his religion have had any bearing on where he was buried ?

coming back to his occupation, on his son's London marriage certificate, 25th March 1875 his father John is listed as a printer.

as ever more questions than answers

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 16:14 BST (UK) »
My own online research also came to the conclusion that John died around 1876/7 based on the time it took to publish a directory.

Is there any way to access the death index online ?  or would it be necessary to order all three death certificates to ascertain which, if any, was the correct death ?

He married Elizabeth Caroline McClean at St Mary, Pro Cathedral,  on 27 Dec 1858.   Is that a Catholic church ?  and would his religion have had any bearing on where he was buried ?

the BMD Index is available on FamilySearch - see the link I included in the previous post. You'd probably have to order those three likely certs to see if one fits - the occupation and maybe the address could help confirm which if any of these match your clues.

The marriage took place in the St. Mary's Marlborough Street, which is the RC pro-Cathedral.

I would say the first place to try for his burial would be Glasnevin, which has a pay-website at :   

http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline 195aph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 17:44 BST (UK) »
I have accessed the Glasnevin website as you suggested and broadened the search slightly.

On the advanced search:  John,  Mulligan,  Wexford Street,  1878,   +/- 3 years

they come up with a result for 1881

However the 'All Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958 results for John Mulligan'

does not list a John Mulligan for 1881

any thoughts

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 18:00 BST (UK) »
The only death for the name John Mulligan I see listed in 1881 is one that dies in July/Sept quarter, and registered in Dunfanaghy district.... seems a little far away from Dublin to be buried in Glasnevin.

There could be a gap in the index on FamilySearch...

I worked out the number for that 1881 record - tried 16 and that didn't match, but eventually got one at number 37. I checked that address listing for 1880 - John Staunton, Kevin's port hotel...

Shane
My Surname Interests