Author Topic: Benjamin London Of Devon  (Read 943 times)

Offline TheLondons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin London Of Devon
« on: Tuesday 25 September 12 15:37 BST (UK) »
Tonight I thought I had cracked my grail for my genealogy research, when I found the marriage record for my 4th great grandfather, Benjamin London.

The record was on Find My Past and the source was given as 'Devon Marriage Transcripts'. This marriage took place on 24 May 1816and he married Elizabeth Mary Jenkins or Jenkings.

I was disappointed to see that the parents of the bride and groom were not given. Would this info be recorded on the original parish record or were they not taking this information at this time?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin London Of Devon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

No, the only information in an 1816 PR for a marriage would be the parishes and marital status of the parties & their signatures, together with that of the witnesses. Also if the marriage was by banns or licence. Its possible a family member was a witness, but not certain

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 08:20 BST (UK) »
You can obtain a copy of the original parish register entry from the DFHS. Go to http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/shop/parish_register.php for details. Typical marriage entry for the time would read:
"George Squance, Miller of this Parish and Rebecca West, spinster of this parish, were married in this Church by banns this twentieth Day of January in the year One Thousand eight Hundred and fifteen, By me Richard Lane, Curate of Brixton.
This marriage was solemnized between us George Squance (sig) and Rebecca West 'X' her mark, in the Presence of Joseph West 'X' his mark and William Scoble."
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline TheLondons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your assistance. I will purchase a copy and see if it offers any additional clues.