Author Topic: Three Men from Queens  (Read 6716 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Three Men from Queens
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 September 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorliz

What religion was your Patrick ?

There was a Michael having children at the time we are talking about in the Mountmellick district but I can only see and Elizabeth and a Catherine born to him and they were Roman Catholic - this has been gotten from the free index on ifhf.

Laois records can be very 'hit and miss' though !

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 September 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
Was John's wife named in any of the records ?

Tara

Offline Dorliz

• RootsChat Member
  • looking for Mary Ann
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 September 12 00:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for looking,    I try to think what John and Patrick were doing maybe John stole the cow and Patrick assulted whoever tried to stop him - just a theory.
Patrick Coss was Catholic and died 9 Feb 1889 at Pound Street Glen Innes NSW he fathered five children - Margaret, Michael, Patrick Jane and Bridget.   I haved not discovered the name of Johns wife as yet.
Dorliz
McCash (McAsh),Harris,Nott,Cooper,Taylor
McLeod,Weatherall,Cartwright,Smith,Geary,
Innes

Offline jjjj2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 September 12 11:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for looking,    I try to think what John and Patrick were doing maybe John stole the cow and Patrick assulted whoever tried to stop him - just a theory.
Patrick Coss was Catholic and died 9 Feb 1889 at Pound Street Glen Innes NSW he fathered five children - Margaret, Michael, Patrick Jane and Bridget.   I haved not discovered the name of Johns wife as yet.
Dorliz
People often stole out of desperation and hunger, most of the crops tenants grew went to pay rent to landlords . I know from reading the court reports in local newspapers of the day in my parish in the same county,That thefts of sheep and cattle shot up Dramatically during the famine of the 1840's, the animals bones would often be found later with ever piece of useful meat striped from the bones according to the newspapers reports i have read . Famine on a small and local scale was quiet common in the 19 century Ireland , it was a recuring tragedy in their lives until after the land war of the 1880's - 1900's when tenants gained ownership of their homes and land from the Landlords

Offline Dorliz

• RootsChat Member
  • looking for Mary Ann
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 September 12 12:05 BST (UK) »
Yes jjjj2 I agree with your sentiments,   Patrick Coss was a forebare of my husband but my own family tells me of the desperation of
the poor.   I have four family members who came to Australia as guests of the crown.   I just want to know if these three men were
brothers,   I am reasonably sure that Patrick  John were,   but was Michael a younger brother.   Dorliz
Innes

Offline jjjj2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 September 12 13:07 BST (UK) »
Have you looked up Griffiths Valuation online for this townsland or the Civil parish it is in (not the roman catholic parish which may have a different name ) it is quite common to find whole families of the same surname renting seperate but ajoining plots of land in the same townsland or the townsland nextdoor to that one .It is always a good indicator that they are either brothers and sisters or cousins . try to find a townsland map for Laois (Queens County ) or that parish. It would show you where one townsland is in relationship to another . This would help you make sense of Griffiths Valuation and see connections between families of the same name that you would never get if you didnt know from a map that they lived in a joining townsland . i wish tell where to find a townsland map online for that part of Laois but it's the one thing that i didn't have to look for as there had been one in my house for years before i started tracing my family tree

Offline Dorliz

• RootsChat Member
  • looking for Mary Ann
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 September 12 01:11 BST (UK) »
thanks jjjj2,    had a look at this very interesting sight but could not find any connection,  may take another look later in case I missed anything.
Dorliz
Innes

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for looking,    I have not discovered the name of John's wife as yet.
Dorliz
I was able to look at John's Convict Reference File in the Archives and there was a petition from his wife whose name is given as Elizabeth/Eliza Coss. She petitioned in August/September 1836 and she said she was only 10 months married at the time and was due a child in two months.
There was nothing else of interest  that might give clues re the relationship between John and Patrick. The prison file has very few details and just shows both sentenced on the same day.
I took photocopies and if you would like to have copies send me a P.M with your e-mail address.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Dorliz

• RootsChat Member
  • looking for Mary Ann
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 02:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Annclare,  so very kind of you,   one wonders if he ever saw his wife a child again,   have sent you a pm.
Dorliz
Innes