Author Topic: RICE/McEVOY - Co Louth  (Read 5436 times)

Offline NEMSTC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RICE/McEVOY - Co Louth
« on: Saturday 29 September 12 15:09 BST (UK) »
Looking for family-tree help and sources in Ireland Co Louth to continue research for: Mathew & Mary Rice (parents), Anne Rice (daughter) born about 1798 "near Dundalk" marries Patrick McEvoy (son) of Thomas McEvoy (father). Anne & Patrick have a son, James McEvoy, born 1 August 1830, Louth, Ireland.

Parish is believed to be Ravensdale; however, in notes along with Anne Rice is the word "Ballenteskin" or something close to that.

Could use direction, thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: RICE/McEVOY--CO LOUTH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 September 12 18:09 BST (UK) »
What denomination were your Rice/McEvoy family ?

1798 is a little early for parish records...

I'm not seeing a good match for a townland named 'Ballenteskin' or similar. You can check place names on the townland database at : www.thecore.com/seanruad

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline NEMSTC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RICE/McEVOY--CO LOUTH
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 September 12 11:27 BST (UK) »
Both were Catholic.  From other sources I find a  number of McEvoys in and around Dundalk.  Another Rices related to Anne were Owen & Hugh Rice.  All traveled to Massachusetts later dying in the Worcester area.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: RICE/McEVOY - Co Louth
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 September 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
Transcripts for many of the RC parishes in Co. Louth are available on the pay-website at RootsIreland. A quick search of the free index shows a few possible McEvoy/Rice baptisms in the 1820s and 30s - no sign of a James McEvoy that I could see.

The three RC parishes closest to Dundalk are Faughart, Lordship and Haggardstown. Unfortunately the first two dont have any records back to 1830. Ravensdale was included in Lordship RC parish, which has some baptisms for the later 1830s..

Records for the parish based in Dundalk town go back to 1790, but there are gaps.

see : Co. Louth RC parish map (Irish Times)
Click on the parishes for details of the dates for which records are available for each parish.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 October 12 07:55 BST (UK) »
Ballinteskin is a townland in Carlingford civil parish, barony of Lower Dundalk.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 October 12 08:34 BST (UK) »
Ballinteskin is a townland in Carlingford civil parish, barony of Lower Dundalk.

thanks - dont know how I missed that...

following on from the details that ftcorkmdb posted, the townland of Ballinteskin is located about 10km (6 miles) west of the town of Carlingford. The civil parish of Carlingford was covered by the RC parish of the same name. Baptism records for this parish go back to 1835, and marriages back to 1838 - so probably a little too late for your James..

Shane
My Surname Interests