Author Topic: Barthomley weddings and baptisms.  (Read 3213 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Barthomley weddings and baptisms.
« on: Saturday 29 September 12 15:55 BST (UK) »
I am going round in circles and need help to clarify the end of this quest please!
I have the marriage of John Bourne to Sarah Latham in 1772.

I would like to establish their children.
I currently have found baptisms for :
Richard 1784; Sarah 1786; Susanna 1789 and Samuel 1793.

I would like to know if there were any earlier children born to John and Sarah in Barthomley- in particular, I am trying to trace the parentage of John Bourne who married Sarah Bennion in Barthomley in 1803 (details of witnesses may also give me a clue. So far, the licence just indicates that both John Bourne and Sarah Bennion were 21 in 1803 but I know Sarah was actually born in 1775 so maybe stating their ages as 21 simply implied they were adults, not needing parental consent. I also believe that John was possibly born around 1773 but am struggling to find the baptism records.

I am really hoping that John Bourne and Sarah Latham are the parents of this John Bourne who married Sarah Bennion but need help to clinch this one!
Thank you
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barthomley weddings and baptisms.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 November 12 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms in the earlier years don't give the mother  :(

Using FamilySearch to look for Bourne baptisms in Barthomley 1750-90, father John, no mother specified, gives these:
 Thomas, 5 Dec 1773;
 Ann, 6 Aug 1775;
 James, 9 Jan 1780;
 Robert, 21 June 1782;
Plus the ones you have. (Seems to me there should be a birth in 1777 if this is all one family)

(I take it you already know that Susan's baptism includes her grandparents? Indeed a couple of GG-GFs!)

Is Thomas Bourne, bap to John & Sarah 13 Aug 1803, born to the couple you're interested in? Because the Audley FHS transcript of the Barthomley registers describes the father as John Bourne JUNIOR.

Re the 1803 Marriage Licence - John Bourne, farmer of the parish of Barthomley and William Bourne, farmer of Weston in the parish of Wybunbury sign the marriage bond. 

On the 1803 marriage, the witnesses are Thomas Bennion, Mary Bennion and Robert Bourne. (Plus John Lunt, the parish clerk). All, plus bride and groom, sign their names.

Don't want to worry you but there is a John Bourne baptised to James Bourne on 5 Jan 1781, plus John to Robert & Mary on 26 Dec 1784, though he ought to be too late.

Adrian

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barthomley weddings and baptisms.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 November 12 18:44 GMT (UK) »
The 1789 christening states Susan and not Susanna
29th November 1789 in St Bertoline , Barthomley,Cheshire
parents John Bourne and Sarah

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Barthomley weddings and baptisms.Completed
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 November 12 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your help1
Re Susan/Susannah- I have done extensive research on this now and can find no oter record of a Susan/Susanna which seems to fit bearing in mind a published Bourne Family Tree done in 1996- so unless I can phisically see the MI (1845)for Susannah- which I believe to be in Barthomley Churchyard (husband Thomas was buried with her by 1864 - I think I am going to have toaccept this is ok.

Re the weddings.
John Bourne Jr- thank you- that confirms the parentage of John Bourne who married Sarah Bennion as his parents were John Bourne and Sarah Latham.
The list of children baptised all now fits with my list- I have a John baptismal record for 1778 which fills the gap and makes the right number of children.

Wedding witnesses- spot on as I had already traced Sarah Bennion's parents as being Thomas and Mary Bennion- and John Bourne (groom) had a brother Robert.

So I think we are home and dry- thank you all so much!
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)