Author Topic: Ayling family  (Read 9489 times)

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ayling family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 September 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish,
The line I'm following goes like this;-

James Ayling, born 1842, Broadwater, Died 1914, Worthing. Wife Mary, born 1849, Storrington, died 1935, Worthing.

His Father, Isaac Ayling, born 1797 Aldingbourne, died 1881, Worthing. Wife Frances, born 1786, Broadwater, died 1880, Sussex.

His Father, William, born 1766, Alverstoke, died 1855, Worthing. Wife 1st Anne, born 1768, Aldingbourne, died 1816, Broadwater. Wife 2nd, Rhoda, born 1785, Billingshurst.

It would not be a surprise in William's 2nd marriage, he would no doubt have been glad of the help raising 6 young children.

I think that the William listed at West Bourne in the census is a different person.

I have also seen Isaac's father shown to be a James, but I don't think this is the right one as all the children you show for William and Anne fit perfectly with family knowledge. It was the suggestion of that James that caused me to double check this family line, but so far you have confirmed my data. So now I seek the next generation back.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 September 12 14:25 BST (UK) »
Trouble is that William with Wife Rhoda is not born Hampshire.
Or am I missing something?

A Katherine Ayling was a Witness to the Marriage of Issac and Frances Bacon 22 Nov 1819, Broadwater.

Also a Isaac Ayling was Christened 02 April 1797, Aldingbourne to EDM/ANNE

Has there been a mistake on Records?
Or are Edmund/William Brothers who christened Sons same day?

Also a Edmund AYLING married Catherine PARSONS 29 July 1816

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 September 12 16:20 BST (UK) »
Ha Ha, there was no shortage of Isaac Aylings, I have 5 on file, vis;-

!. Father of William Ayling who wed Mary Anne Collins on 2 July 1848, Alton.

2. Son of William Ayling and Anne Faulkner, who wed Frances Parsons* on 22 Nov 1819 at Broadwater. They had a son Isaac (3)

3. Isaac Ayling 1822 Broadwater - 1908. Wed Mary Anne Cobby on 1 June 1845, Broadwater. She also wed Edward Knight.

4. Isaac Ayling 1805, Alton wed Mary Tuesley on 28 Jan 1824 at Alton. He was son of James Ayling and Mary Isaacs.

5. Isaac Ayling 1834, Alton, son of James Ayling and Sarah Smith.

Edmund Ayling 1794 Aldingbourne - 1876 East Preston, wed Catherine Parsons* 29 July 1816, Broadwater. He the son of William Ayling and Anne Faulkner, She the daughter of Richard Parsons* and wife Frances.

*** Richard Parsons and wife Frances were the parents of Frances Parsons and Catherine Parsons.

The Katherine Ayling you quote was probably nee Catherine Parsons, but I have no idea at present who was the Isaac Ayling wed to Francis Bacon on 22 Nov 1816 Broadwater.

THE PLOT THICKENS !!!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 September 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
OOPS I put the wrong name :-[

22 Nov 1819 Isaac to Frances PARSONS, not Bacon
Katherine Ayling a Witness

A Catherine AYLING Married a James BAKER, 17 Oct 1830, Broadwater
A James Ayling was a Witness

Gosh I dont envy you your task!

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 September 12 17:20 BST (UK) »
It's not easy, Trish. I learned the hard way not to trust 3rd party transcripts, now my main source is fiche of the original Parish Registers that I buy as and when seems appropriate. Trouble is that some of the original documents are in poor condition, I'd love to put them under an ultra-violet lamp so I can better read them, but permission would never be granted.

I'm assuming that Catherine Ayling, nee Parsons, first husband, Edmund Ayling died before 1830, and that her 2nd marriage was to James Baker, that does sound reasonable.

If I could scan the fiche into the computer it might be possible to reconstruct some of the degraded data digitally, I'll have to ask my son, he's the computer expert.

Meanwhile, if anybody has further info to offer I'd be most grateful, Thanks.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 September 12 17:24 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree that that is possible that she Married twice.

Hopefully your Son can come up with a solution to your Fiche problem

Trish :)

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 September 12 18:13 BST (UK) »
I realise that if we accept that Catherine was twice married, then what of the death of Edmund Ayling recorded in 1876 at East Preston ?, and how did he come to be there ?
Was there a divorce ? and this also calls into question the father of Eliza Ayling in 1833, although she is listed as an Ayling.

Nothing is ever simple !

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 September 12 21:40 BST (UK) »
I have also seen Isaac's father shown to be a James, but I don't think this is the right one as all the children you show for William and Anne fit perfectly with family knowledge.

Um, I thought you said you had no information about William at all!

So, I now have the marriage date and place, thanks for your help, unfortunately, it does not show either of their birth dates, ages, not their parent's names.

I'm afraid you will be whistling in the wind for those details  ;)  Before the introduction of civil registration in England and Wales on 1 July 1837, no ages were shown, no fathers' names were shown (you don't get the mother's name ever!) or birth dates.  If they were, tracing one's ancestry would be considerably easier!

Ages at death are only as reliable as the person providing that information.  Always treat with caution.  If William was married to Rhoda as his second wife (she died in 1852), then the 1851 census really should be investigated and appropriate note taken.  He seems to be saying in both 1841 and 1851 that he was born in Sussex.  :-\

Also a Isaac Ayling was Christened 02 April 1797, Aldingbourne to EDM/ANNE

I have found the parents listed as John and Ann.  :-\

I'm assuming that Catherine Ayling, nee Parsons, first husband, Edmund Ayling died before 1830, and that her 2nd marriage was to James Baker, that does sound reasonable.

Katherine not showing as a widow when she married James Baker  :-\  Above not proven yet.  Can't find a burial for Edmund Ayling of an appropriate age.

Eliza Ayling in 1833 - where does she fit in, please.  I'm obviously missing something  :(

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 October 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
At that tine, Nell, I did not, but strangely enough this is not the only source of my information. Other data arrived after my post in question. That included one Eliza Ayling, but as I said, I do have my doubts about her.

In spite of some hostility shown from some quarters, I am making a little progress. I have been researching family history for many years, and am not quite the novice I was.

I thank all those who have been helpful and given encouragement.