Author Topic: Accessing ancestry records on an iPad  (Read 10772 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Accessing ancestry records on an iPad
« on: Sunday 30 September 12 02:24 BST (UK) »
I was lucky enough to receive an iPad for my birthday, hubby bought it specifically for me to do my research and free up the kids laptops that I keep pinching. I am devasted to find that I can't access ancestry records on it as is does not have adobe flash player. I downloaded the ancestry app which lets me view records that are already attached to someone, it also let's me view records from a "hint" that it has found but I can view nothing when I search a record. This is so disappointing, not just to me but to hubby who was being so thoughtful. This only seems to occur on ancestry, I have no problem with Find My Past records, or other sites. Can anyone please help me work around this????

Thanks, Jo  ???
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing ancestry records on an iPad
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 September 12 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

I never even considered that when I bought my iPad b/c I didn't know about the adobe bit. However, I don't seem to have any problem downloading anything from ancestry. I have an iPad3 and have NOT downloaded the ancestry app. I simply type ancestry.whatever into the search engine, log in, and away I go, just like on my laptop. So maybe the app is the problem? It seems to me that it has some limitations which was why I didn't download it, if I remember correctly.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 September 12 07:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks PBS, I have now removed the ancestry app but still can't view the original records - even of a census attached to someone years ago???? Someone please help me work around this,

Hopeful Jo  ???
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 September 12 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi I had this problem on my tablet, I could only get into one of my family trees on ancestry,via an aps. then discovered that by fiddling around and going to more detail of the family tree that came up,I could get to where I could see a search sign and was able to get in and access.  It is a long winded process but it does mean I can eventually get in.  Try playing around and may be it will work for you.
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 September 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
I don't use the Ancestry app.Why not just use Ancestry in the normal wayas you would on a computer.It all works fine .
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 September 12 09:14 BST (UK) »
When I tried to get in the normal way I could not get in at all, unlike FindMyPast. So put on an app and got in, even if longwinded, any suggestions as to how to get in would be grateful to learn.
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline JulesT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 September 12 09:47 BST (UK) »
I also have an Ipad, I can access Ancestry documents no problem, I just can't read them. :'(  They appear pixellated and out of focus.  If I find something interesting I save to my Shoebox and then view on my desktop at a later date. 

I would love to be able to find a solution to this. 8)

Jules

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 September 12 10:24 BST (UK) »
I have no problem with reading the images.Perhaps it's the type of iPad that makes the difference.Mine is the iPad 1.... Very early one
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 September 12 10:28 BST (UK) »
Ringrose - have you ever updated the iOS on it, or does it still have iOS 5.1.1 ?

Jo - what browser are you using on your iPad ?  Have you tried installing Chrome ?

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk