Author Topic: Accessing ancestry records on an iPad  (Read 10771 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing ancestry records on an iPad
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 October 12 07:49 BST (UK) »
Ringrose I would love your grandchildren, have installed the update to ios6, still nothing so I rang ancestry who said that they were aware that there was no capability to view records using the iPad and that they were "working on it"!!! They clarified it as such, you can view records using the app that are already attached to an existing tree, but you can't search for new records and view them through the app. You can search for new records by logging on to ancestry through safari but you can't see any of the records you find???? So as someone with full world wide membership on ancestry I am basically stuffed!!

I am really flabbergasted that these are not compatible???
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline JulesT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 October 12 08:22 BST (UK) »
jomcd967 - It could be a long wait for Ancestry while they are "working on it" - I've been waiting since June 4th for them to "work on" an image which kept bringing up an "error in processing" for a Border Crossing document.  It is an important document for me to view as it may hold clues to where hubby's ancestor disappeared to as there is no further trace of him after this :(.  I've since come across a few more from the same group which won't display either.  I emailed them after 6 weeks and got the same bog standard reply as before, I'm not very happy with their service.

I stopped using the Ancestry app shortly after I downloaded it because I felt it was very limited. 

I tried looking at a few documents last night after updating the IOS, some were clearly viewable and others hopelessly fuzzy.  I couldn't work out a pattern as to which I could see and couldn't see.  I have the newest iPad, updated to IOS6 and use Safari.  Looks like it's back to the Shoebox method for me!

Jules

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 01 October 12 08:38 BST (UK) »
What I don't get is how it works fine for Panda and others and then not for me and others??? I can't tell you how annoying all this is and "working on it" could mean years, I'm not even sure who I should be annoyed at - ancestry or apple????

Jo
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline JulesT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 October 12 08:44 BST (UK) »
I love my iPad but there is no point in having all this technology if it fails miserably at what should be a simple task.

Jules

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 October 12 09:06 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid that's the price you pay for moving away from Windows!

Every app used in Apple hardware has to be approved by them first - and that can be a long process in itself.

Then, the people who own the software have to develop different versions: Windows (XP and Vista may need different versions), Apple Mac, iPad (different versions?), Unix, Android, etc.
Even on Widows, different versiona may be needed for Internet Exploder, Firefox, Google Chrome, and so on.

Software development isn't always easy! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 October 12 09:13 BST (UK) »
I have just checked my ipad1 for Ancestry......no problem.Mime is an Apple ,perhaps other makes do not work as well.Im puzzled as to why you can't get decent images.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 01 October 12 09:15 BST (UK) »
Mime is an Apple ,perhaps other makes do not work as well.

Ummmm . . . . all iPads are Apple! That's who makes them? ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 October 12 09:35 BST (UK) »
Morning just found the same problem and I am using a brand new Ipad with version 6.  I presume that version 6 is not compatible with Adobe Flash and we just need to wait for someone to enable that.  Oh well.

Not sure I understand why images are viewable via the app and not the website?  Hmmm

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 01 October 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
Morning just found the same problem and I am using a brand new Ipad with version 6.  I presume that version 6 is not compatible with Adobe Flash and we just need to wait for someone to enable that.  Oh well.

Not sure I understand why images are viewable via the app and not the website?  Hmmm

Kerry

Adobe Flash has never been compatible with any iPad - Apple and Adobe had a serious fallout - Apple have claimed that Flash as it is used is a serious security threat to the operating system.