Author Topic: Lannan Family  (Read 31048 times)

Offline cparker30

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lannan Family
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 08 November 18 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just came across an old map of Wexford, County of Kilkenny in my mother's things.  Her name was Donna Lannan, and she wrote that her great, great grandparents were William Lannan (Lannen) born 1790 in Cushinstown, Wexford who married Mary Power, born in 1795.  She marked the map with an "X" where they lived.

My mother grew up in Ashfield Township, Ontario, Canada, where her father William Lannan and mother Catherine Martin had immigrated to from Ireland.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 08 November 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat cparker30.

County Kilkenny and County Wexford are two different counties.  There is no Wexford in County Kilkenny as far as I know.  But the two counties share a border.

http://www.mapofireland.info/irish-counties/

Offline OhUallachain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 29 December 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just came across an old map of Wexford, County of Kilkenny in my mother's things.  Her name was Donna Lannan, and she wrote that her great, great grandparents were William Lannan (Lannen) born 1790 in Cushinstown, Wexford who married Mary Power, born in 1795.  She marked the map with an "X" where they lived.

My mother grew up in Ashfield Township, Ontario, Canada, where her father William Lannan and mother Catherine Martin had immigrated to from Ireland.

I think we're 6th cousins (or is it 3rd cousin 6 times removed? I never figured out how that worked). William Lannan and Mary Power are probably my 4th Great Grandparents. (unless different people had that same name in that time period - which I have seen).

Was the William Lannan a 1st cousin of Phillip Lannen (spelling changed - born 1859) by any chance? The witness at Phillip Lannen's wedding was a William H Lannen who was Canadian born and lived in Detroit?

My 2nd Great Grandfather is Phillip Lannen who was born in Wexford and settled in Detroit. (There's another Phillip Lannen/Lannan close in age that stayed in Ireland - probably related, but not the same person) I couldn't find any Irish records for him. He probably had a sister named Hannah born around 1851 whom never married and settled in Detroit. Their dad was named Patrick and I've seen too different possible names for their mother. Mary Morin or Bridget Breen. I'm not sure which (if either) is correct, so I have a dead end there. My mom ancestry DNA matched a few Lannans and I was able to trace them back to William Lannan and Mary Power. I then found Patrick Lannan's Baptism record on ancestry. He was much older than I expected (born 1813 - 46 years before Phillip) but listed William Lannan and Mary Power as parents and I'm guessing they were born in the late 1700s. 

Based on an ancestry DNA tree that matched mom, I think William had a brother (less likely cousin) named Michael who married a Bridget Brenan (Same ones that Shelley referenced at the beginning of this thread) and they had a daughter Margaret Farrell who went to Indiana.