Author Topic: Harwood family  (Read 15136 times)

Offline Edna2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harwood family
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 October 10 10:36 BST (UK) »
The Elson family name was still around when I was evacuated to Hartley then Elvetham in 1940, but in Hartley Wintney, not Elvetham.

Mary Ann Denton was my grandmother and Susan my great aunt.  I met her in 1941. living at Loman's Hill

My regards to Doris Harwood

Edna

Offline Edna2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 December 10 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I have been told that Uncle Son was in fact Fred. the son of Fred!! 

Edna

Offline gemmabh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

Just wanted to let you know that Charlie 'Fred' Harwood, Doris' younger brother sadly passed on 25th oct. Reading back on your posts, the man registered blind is my nan's uncle Herbert, hope this helps,

Gemma

Offline Edna2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed for letting me know this news.

I remember Charlie (at school he was Freddy) very well, Doris being a year or so younger than me and Freddy a year or two younger than her.  This was at Elvetham Primary School (if it still exists) at Streetend.

At Streetend 'Aunt Win' had the corner cottage (with a deep ditch, where she kept ducks!) and I think she would have been the daughter of another older Harwood brother, Doris's uncle.

Yes!  I had been trying to remember the name but yes, it was Herbert.  He was a very quiet, gentle, man;  someone had provided a tandem for him, and Win and a few other people took turns taking him for a ride around.  He made the most beautiful bicycle baskets which lasted for years and years.

Did you know anything about another Harwood, he had a withered arm and lived in Portsmouth;  Win knew him well, I don't think he was her brother, I think he was another cousin.

Thanks again,     Edna

Offline TonyHIoW

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 March 12 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi edna2!
I'm happily reading the posts between you and thinking that there is no connection between us when you mention moving to the Isle of Wight! Have you any connections with the Somerset Harwoods who moved to the IoW after 1858. I am trying to work back to the family who lived around Yeovil/Preston (Somerset), father Frederick born in 1838 in Preston, married in Yeovil in 1857 to Mary Ann and produced nine children.

Thanks,

TonyHIoW

Offline nickcc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 31 March 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Edna2,  I've just found this thread on RootsChat. 
My paternal grandmother born 1872 was Eleanor Harwood Hoile.  Her mother was Sarah Pearcy Harwood  (1850 - 1938).  Sarah's father was James Harwood (born Hawley 21 April 1825, died 7 Feb 1872 London).  His father was William Harwood (born 1801 Elvetham, died 1885 Hartley Witney). From census information, William spent most of his life as an agricultural labourer at Black Bushes, Elvetham. He married Mary Ann (surname unknown) who was born in Egypt in 1806 and died  1876 in Hartley Witney.  William and Mary Ann had 9 children, the earlier ones born in Hawley and the later ones born in Elvetham.
I wonder if this information fits in with your family tree, I would be interested to hear.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 10 May 12 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Nickcc

Just for your notes ............

Looking at 1861/71/81

William is consistent in saying he was born Frimley Surrey
His occupations were AgLab, Farm Bailiff, Dairyman

Maybe nothing, in 1881 his dairymaid has surname of Pearse

Cheers

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline mome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Harwood - Elvetham
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 16 September 12 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just searched Lomans Hill, Elvetham on Google and have come up with this web chats site and have read a couple of entries re: my Uncle Bunny (known as Son) who lived on the Isle of Wight with his Aunt Rose and a further message re: my Aunt Beddy (Elizabeth Harwood (Betty))  who lived at Lomans Hill.  Her sister my Mum (Ellen Phyllis) and us children moved back there for a short while with her in the late forties early fifties., and again for a short period in 1953-1954. I remember Aunt Ada , Uncle Fred and Eric and their cottage to the left of Lomans Hill.  Aunt Ada gave me my first time  of having beans on toast, didn't like them much then!
It was my sister that did the family tree in 2002-2006 when my mum was still with us, so mum was able to help a great deal. The Harwood boy/man? that was blind, Mum recalled playing cricket with him and others as a child on the common at the back of Lomans Hill, there used to be a bell inside the ball so he knew where it was. Secondly we think that my eldest sister met one of you in the graveyard in Elvetham about a year ago and had she known you were Aunty Ada's daughter she would have loved to have stopped for a long chat.
My sister has lots of information on our direct line and a photo of us with Ada, Eric and the perhaps the farmers son that I think one of you were talking about. He very kindly sent us this via our cousin, don't ask its a small world.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Harwood - Elvetham
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 September 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Mome,
  Welcome to rootschat  :)

I think this is the thread that you refer to
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,456810.0.html

I'll ask the moderator to move your post there  :)

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland