Author Topic: HILTON family of Lancashire and Jamaica, late 1700's - early 1800's  (Read 14593 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: HILTON family of Lancashire and Jamaica, late 1700's - early 1800's
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 October 12 08:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Radlciff

Merchants merchants merchants, seems like a Liverpool Mafia.......no doubt it benefited them all to hang out together socially and intermarry.....

Wonder if the descendants are still merchants of some sort or the modern equivalent "entrepreneurs". It certainly seemed "in the blood" for a few generations.

Gen in NBL England - where the sun is shining brightly and its 4C
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 21 August 14 03:02 BST (UK) »
These Hiltons are one of those brickwalls that I put down and pick up again later. Looking back on the previous thread, I realised I hadn't chased up the Wm Hilton witness at Sams daughters marriage in England.

However there were MANY Hiltons/Hyltons on Jamaica at that time possibly because of slaves bearing that name...

I'm exploring the possibility that Sam was born on Jamaica, it could explain why he suddenly appeared in records out there without any UK background.

The Jamaican Genealogy project that was previously pay to view is now free so will keep returning to that.

The Moulton-Barretts he worked with are also difficult as they kept changing surnames and repeating the same forenames over and over. They also played Musical Houses, complicating things yet again.

Won't forget this one, I'm like a terrier with a rat once I get a problem!

Gen in NBL England

UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline GDW67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 May 19 14:57 BST (UK) »
hi I've just joined the site after searching on Google for some information about Samuel Hilton. I'm the organist at St. Anne's church, Stanley where Samuel is supposedly buried. There are 3 marble tablets on the west wall of the church. One to Samuel Hilton, one to William and Cliff and one to Thomas Gardner. The memorial to Samuel is attached

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 May 19 16:31 BST (UK) »
GDW - thank you so much for this photo. There a few clues there as to Samuels previous life, which I can follow up.

I am also interested in the other two memorials. Samuel had business dealings with an Adam CLIFF, a Liverpool merchant. Samuel was the father in law of the Rev. Thomas Gardner vicar of your church.

Could you tell me what is on the other two memorials you mentioned previously?

You have probably read all my previous posts about Samuel Hilton but if there is anything else you want to know about him, just ask me.

There are living descendants of Samuel living in or near Wales.

Gen in NBL UK

Offline GDW67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 24 May 19 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Gen, yes I've read the whole thread with great interest and I may well take you up on your offer of more information. It's been very helpful so far. I've also got photos of Revd Thomas Gardner and also his son, Revd Hilton Gardner who became the 2nd vicar of the parish. We have some history info on our church website www.saintannestanley.co.uk/history.html
It would be amazing to track down the descendants. I wonder if they know that this tablet was erected in the new church when it was built in 1890.

Offline GDW67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 24 May 19 17:34 BST (UK) »
the text on the Cliff tablet reads;
William Cliff of Liverpool, Merchant (in affectionate remembrance of his parents and children interred in this cemetery) has invested 200 pounds in its ministers and churchwardens for the time being, the income from which, to be applied every Christmas (at their discretion) for the benefit of the poor of this congregation.

One of the bells in our tower has the inscription 'The Rose 1789'. Some suggestions are that this was the bell from an old slave ship but we haven't been able to find any connection to verify this. Maybe this Jamaica connection can open some doors?

Offline TKMax

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 May 19 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi i have found on ancestry census 1851 and also 1891 information on Mary Ann Cliff wife to William Cliff.
Mary's birthplace states she was born in Ris Burne Jamaica 1823
Another Jamaica native.
That is if she is married to the correct William Cliff  :)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 May 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
GDW many thanks for all the extra information and photographs you have sent me. Lots of good clues there for further research. I'm determined to find the family of Samuel before he left England for Jamaica. I have been looking for contact details for the direct descendant of Samuel who phoned me several years ago, but I cannot find anything in my notes. I have changed phones and laptops several times since then so I can just hope she is monitoring these posts as it was here she found the thread.

Also thanks to TKMax for the info about the Cliff wife from Jamaica. Samuel Hilton was very friendly with Adam Cliff, so there is definitely a connection.

One of these days I hope to write up the story of Samuel and his Jamaican descendants for the Lancashire FHS or similar but I need the very beginning of Samuel's story.

Sorry for the delay in answering, I've been away all day from my pc.

Gen in NBL UK

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 May 19 18:20 BST (UK) »
GDW I have just looked at your church's history website and noticed a name - Thomas Fenwick Harrison. I've just looked him up:
HARRISON, Thomas Fenwick was born on January 9, 1852. Son of Thomas Harrison of Liverpool (d. 1888) and Mary Anne, daughter of Cuthbert Fenwick of Newcastle.

I see his mother was Mary Anne Fenwick of Newcastle daughter of Cuthbert.

Sarah Hilton, Samuel's youngest daughter married a solicitor called Henry Fenwick, son of Cuthbert Smith Fenwick from North Shields near Newcastle. So the Harrisons and the Hiltons were probably related through marriage.

Wheels within wheels, fascinating.

Gen in NBL England