Author Topic: Birth of disabled child  (Read 12442 times)

Offline annel80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth of disabled child
« on: Wednesday 03 October 12 17:56 BST (UK) »
i am trying to find the possible birth of an Albert Jones sometime between 1894 and 1911, son of Louisa Victorene Jones (unmarried). the boy was a dwarf and died young (age unknown). His mother lived in Lewisham but she could have moved to an unmarried mothers home or elsewhere as her family were strict catholics and she would have been frowned on. Could he also have been taken away and lived in a home ? Any info about places to search would be great.

I already have a couple of poss death dates  -Albert Jones d 1Q 1898 Lewisham age 0
                                                                         Albert Jones d3Q 1911 Lewisham age 2
but since i am not even 100% sure he was ever born and Albert was a common name I havent yet bought the death certificates.
Jones in Lewisham, West Ham , Kent and Tonnay Charente France
Belgeul / Bellegoeul (many spellings) in St Aubin and Sainte Josse Pas de Calais and Paris France

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of disabled child
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 18:28 BST (UK) »
This is a tricky one- Jones and a common first name!

There is one baptism in Lewsham with mother Louisa Jones no father for Ethel May Jones 9 Jul 1893 but nothing else I can see.

As a starting point could you post everything that you know about Louisa please?

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline annel80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 October 12 10:02 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks.
Where to start ?
Louisa Victorine Jones was born in Tonnay Charente in France 18th August 1882 the youngest of 4 sisters and 2 brothers (Anita Charlotte, Julia Maria, James Louis, Edwina Louise and Philippe Arthur [my grandad]) and all born in France.
 By 1891 they are living in 14 St Georges  Avenue Forest Gate  London with parents Edwin Charles Jones and Julie Marie Jones (nee Breton).
As far as i knew Louisa was a spinster until a revelation from my cousin that she had had a son Albert who was a dwarf and who died before 1911 as another member of the family was named  after him in Aug 1911.
No one else knows anything at all about him. If its true i can only presume that she was unmarried and because the family were strict French catholics she was perhaps sent away elsewher to have the child ?
The family later moved to 20 Peak Hill gardens Sydenham ( Now comes under Lewisham)where she lived until she died in 1973.

The only two deaths in that area I can find on BMD are the ones Ihave told you about but checking other records there were many Jones families in this area.

I have found a birth in Lewisham in 1Q 1898  1d 1171for an Albert Jones so may have to take a chance and get the birth certificate.
Belgeul / Bellegoeul (many spellings) in St Aubin and Sainte Josse Pas de Calais and Paris France

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 12 13:08 BST (UK) »
Have you got Louisa in 1901 and 1911?
Any clues there? Still single? Any child?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 October 12 14:06 BST (UK) »
No child in the latter.  She is living with widowed mother and 2 sisters - all girls single.  No mention of any children.

With parents and 1 sister in 1901.  Girls single.

It's an odd story isn't it about Albert.  Maybe something will come to light or maybe wires have been crossed and someone else was his mother  :-\

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline annel80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 October 12 15:44 BST (UK) »
are any records available of childrens homes (wherehe could have been sent ) or unmarried mothers homes records ?

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 October 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
I would think you can  rule out the death at age 0 - and possibly even the one age 2

For it to be said he was a dwarf, he must have lived long enough to be obviously and consistently much smaller than average for his age
Am not sure exactly what age this would be apparent, but i would guess it would be early childhood rather than whilst still a baby
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 October 12 22:24 BST (UK) »
I was thinking too would there have to be some history of dwarfism?  No wish to be disrespectful as I don't know enough about it but I wouldn't have thought it would be something to happen out of the blue if you know what I mean.

Was it just a term that was used to describe him  :-\ and who was the other member of the family named after him - could be a clue there?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 October 12 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would say if they were strict Catholic, she may have been sent to a Nunnery or they may have  sent her back to France

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich