Author Topic: Whyeleafe County Primary School  (Read 6130 times)

Offline johncrowner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whyeleafe County Primary School
« on: Friday 05 October 12 17:35 BST (UK) »
This school was also known as Maple Road Primary. Anyone at school there in period 1950-1955 and remember the teachers' names? I have Mr Morris, head; Miss prickett; miss Hazel, but still some blanks. Was Mr Ken Myers a teacher there, for example? any others? The School is no longer there, but would teachers records for this period be stored away anywhere? Any help appreciated
Crowhurst:Brooker:Brinkhurst:Turner

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Whyeleafe County Primary School
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 12 18:07 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking on Friends Reunited?

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/whyteleafe-county-primary/g/1123320f-0781-473a-8667-d19a476aa8c9

There are some photos there
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johncrowner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 12 08:54 BST (UK) »
Yes- some interesting photos on Friends Reunited. I joined that site a few weeks ago, but am disappointed that a majority of users seem to be in a different age group to me!! Is there an old codgers section which I have missed? It doesn't seem that easy to use either. The chance of anyone reading any comments I add seem extremely remote!

Offline Martin Gosling

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 12:01 BST (UK) »

Hello John ~ I was at Maple Road from 1944 until 1951.
The first headmaster I recall was Mr Stevenson. He was replaced by 'Daddy' Morris. Other teachers were Mrs Prickett, Miss Hazel, Miss Hunt and Mr Oakey (possibly temporary.)
In the infants section at the time I began were Miss Nichols and Miss Shury.
I have some group photos of the pupils taken around 1949/50 and can forward them if you are interested.
Yours
Martin Gosling

Offline tichtaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My two elder brothers and myself went to Maple Road in the 1950s.  I think my years were 1951-8 so my other brothers would have been 1949-1956 and 1947-53.   
I remember Miss Pickett, Miss Hazel and Mr Morris.  The latter was a Liberal councillor for a while.  The only other teacher I can recall was Masani.
The school was divided into Infants and Juniors.  Boys and Girls had separate playgrounds.   Outside loos.  Steam trains running on the embankment between the school and the Dobbin.
It was demolished in the 1980s for private housing.   
A tuck shop immediately opposite Maple Road next to a Velocette (etc) showroom.     

Offline johncrowner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 16:38 BST (UK) »
hi martin/tichtaylor. I know its been a long time since you posted. Did you have a brother there named Ben? I was at the school from 1949 until 1955. I remember the teachers you name except mr Oakley. Do you remember teacher Ken Myers? Sorry for overdue thanks.Martin, I would love to see the group photos. My sister Jennifer should be in the  1944-49 ones.

Offline Julia Grist

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 May 16 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I went to Maple Road in 1964/65 only did the top two yrs as we'd moved to Hillbury Road in 1964.  I remember, Mrs Pricket, she was lovely, she used to ask me to look after the infants at play times as I was good with younger children.  I also remember Miss Hazel with her red hair, but I didn't like her. I had a fall outside school and badly grazed both knees which my mum dressed with Germolene and lint but they went septic.  We were taken to Riddlesdown swimming pool and she told me to take my bandages off.  I said I couldn't because they were stuck to my septic wounds.  She made me rip them off and I was crying in pain.  When she saw them she said, "well you can't get in the pool with legs like that can you, get dressed and sit out!" I was so upset, and when I told my mum she went to the school and complained to the head who was angry and told Miss Hazel off!! I remember Mr Bradbury who was young with glasses always wore a suit and strutted along fast with his little briefcase.  He would pass me in our road sometimes and would always say very loudly "Morning Julia!".  Funny little chap.   My favourite teacher though was Mr Massani, an Indian or maybe Pakistani chap (I can't remember!)  he was so lovely, he was kind, gentle and polite and a great teacher.  I loved his classes.  I used to catch shrews from the railway bank at playtime and put them in my pocket and smuggle them into class.  He always knew I had them and asked me to "take it outside please".  He was a dear man.  I remember a few children, David Taylor, Elizabeth Fezackerly, Lesley Stone, Susan Early.

Offline Kevin Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 02:14 BST (UK) »
Teachers Head Master AW (Pops) Morris, Mrs Prickett, Miss Hazel, Ms Taylor, Mr Masani, Mr Carpenter, Mr Bradburyand office Ms Daniels?  Great teachers in days of integrity and care for all.

Mr Bradbury was a good runner so he would walk fast.
Mrs Prickett's husband died in the war RAF?
Miss Hazel was strict but fair and suprised about the swim pool bandage incident.
Miss Taylor was stricter and abrasively did not suffer fools.
Mr Masani always passionate about sport and a kind soul.

Swimming at Reedham Deaf school
Sport in Whyteleafe Rec
Gardening at end of playground
Lower school was infants.

Buses serving Whyteleafe 197 and 453

Local barber / hairdressers Dick and the Bonwick family.

Have photo in 1959/60 of Mrs Prickett's class.  (*) if wanted

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Ian Curror

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 March 18 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I was at Maple Road School from about 1955 until 1960, when I went to Purley Grammar School. I very narrowly passed the 11 plus exam! I remember Mrs Prickett, Miss Hazel, Miss Taylor, Miss Warmington, Mr Masani (a lovely man who gave me extra coaching in Maths for the 11+), Mr Morris and a music teacher, Mr Henderson. It was the last-named who made we want to take piano lessons, and after that I was eventually fortunate enough to become, and remain, a professional musician. Seeds sown unseen... Miss Taylor could be quite fierce. My father attended a parents evening when I was in her class and, while waiting his turn, started to look at the discredit book. Remember that!? Miss Taylor quickly removed it from him. Guilty conscience? I once had 2 discredits at once for throwing pieces of coal up at the trains. Houses were Darling, Nightingale and Livingstone - colonial heritage eh?

All in all, I think it was a happy place. We knew where we stood in terms of discipline and I think Mr Morris was a kind, fair man.