Author Topic: Richard and Harriet Green .. Blenheim Palace ..Oxfordshire COMPLETED THANKYOU  (Read 14608 times)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Richard and Harriet Green .. Blenheim Palace ..Oxfordshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 October 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
As Alex has traced back to the 1740's, perhaps we should wait and see, as to who and where. ;)

As for occupations......why not both Glover and Nurseryman.    If most of the family are doing it, why not him. ;D

I've had a wheelright to ag lab, to Publican to Bailiff.    Where is the best paid work, I ask. ;)

There is a Richard Green(1834) in Wolvercote in 1841 census,( I think his father was Thomas, ag lab).

Maybe Harriett  Gardiner family were glove makers before Richard took it up. :o

I'll have another dig about.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 October 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, I will be interested to see Alex's replies regarding occupations, parent's names etc. I would expect him to know occupations of at least some of them if he has traced the family back to the 1740's - at least those who appear in the censuses. It might be worth him purchasing a couple of the children's birth certifciates to see what Richard's occupation was when they were born.

I too have a couple of ancestors with wildly differing occupations (shoemaker to publican to gardener) so I understand that it can happen, but I would still think it usual that a glovemaker is given a job as a nurseryman at the 'big house', unless he was a nurseryman prior to being a glovemaker. Perhaps it was more a labouring job than the skilled plant man that I was imagining.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 October 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
I'm having problems locating the family in 1861. Have you had any luck Steve?  :-\

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 October 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
Have you traced Harriett(nee Gardiner)'s family - I think they lived on the Benheim estate.

I will await your reply to bucksboy and Ruskie before I post further

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 October 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
No baptism in Woodstock for Richard GREEN c1832.   But there is a 1832 baptism for Ann GREEN in Woodstock, to William(a Glover) and Frances GREEN.  'of Old Woodstock'.

Harriet Gardiner was baptised in 1831 Woodstock, to Thomas(a labourer), and Hannah Gardiner.

Found a Richard Green 1834, Wolvercote baptism, to William(labourer) & Mary Green. (This must be the 1841 census family).

But there is a Richard Green c1832 Wootton, in 1851 census, with Thomas as father, and sibling Ann Green c1835. Wootton. (1851 census).??

Lydia ANN Green, baptised 1835 @ Wootton, to Thomas(labourer), & Rosanna Green. 'of Old Woodstock.

***1832 Baptism for Richard GREEN in Wootton, Oxon,  to Thomas(Labourer), & Hannah GREEN,  'of Old Woodstock'.

BUT.....there are other GREEN  baptisms in Wootton, to Thomas(a leather dresser), & Rachael GREEN, 'of Old Woodstock'.

Hannah GREEN burial. - 15 July 1838.  aged 29 of Old Woodstock. @ WOOTTON.

Ok Suzard, over to you. ;D
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 October 12 18:32 BST (UK) »
I'm having problems locating the family in 1861. Have you had any luck Steve? :-\
Hi all, just to save anyone else looking at this census - the Woodstock district enumeration books for 1861 (piece 903) are 'missing in their entirety' so there's another dead end :(

Sorry, I seem to be bringing nothing but bad news today :'(
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 October 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
Ok, I'll stop looking now. ;D ;D

Thomas & Hannah were both widowed at time of marriage.  Married on the 11th.  May 1829. @ St. Aldate, Oxford.

Thomas Gardiner c1776. Oxfordshire, and wife Hannah(nee.Osbourne) c1791. Oxfordshire, are in the 1841 census, in Woodstock.  Thomas is a labourer, and might have worked on the Blenheim estate.

Address - Pitching, New Woodstock.  (The previous page is Sheep Street, on the 1841 census).  The parish is given as Blenheim Park.

I'm pretty sure they are not living in Blenheim Park, but just in the north east area of the town of Woodstock.   In the area of Union Street & (Upper)Brook Hill.

Thomas was buried - 19 Feb 1854, aged 71, and Hannah - 28 May 1866, aged 76.  Both In Woodstock.

Steve. :)

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 October 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
Good morning and greetings to all.

Thank you for your time and interest in the Green / Gardiner families and Blenheim Palace.

Some of the names are familiar to me and others are new.  It is also the first time the family out here in New Zealand have known the Greens were employed in the glove making industry but must accept that as a fact .. 1871 Census. 

Richards occupation in 1888 after emigration to New Zealand was labourer and he his thought likely to have been working on Lake Wakitpu as a boatman about the same time and before his passing in 1905.

I have traced the family as follows :-

"William Green was christened on 26.12.1750 in Wootton, Oxfordshire.  The Parish records are uncertain but a William Green married Martha Wilks born c 1742 of Islip on 02.02.1778.  She was a widow.  It appears likely that they are our family members.   Martha born 1742 died on 31.10.1821 aged 79 years and buried at Wootton, (also known as Wootton-by-Woodstock), Oxfordshire.  William’s date of death is unknown.

Their son William was the eldest of 6 children.  He was christened on 03.01.1779 at Wootton, Oxfordshire and married Hannah Smith (born c 1780) on 13.10.1799.  They had five children, their eldest child being Thomas Green.

Thomas Green (1799 – 1876) was born and christened (12.10.1800) in the same district as his parents, Oxfordshire. He and Roseanna Smith were married on 13.09.1830 in Wootton. Roseanna’s origins have not been traced. She died somewhere between 1837 and 1841.  Thomas and Roseanna had three children including our Richard Green.

From census records it appears that Thomas Green father of our Richard entered a 2nd marriage with Emma Hill sometime after 1851.  Emma was born c. 1822 in Coombe, Oxfordshire.  She died in Woodstock c 1874.  Two further children were born from that union.

Richard Green was born at Woodstock, Oxfordshire on 25.11.1832. His age was given as 42 on immigration in 1874.  The burial record at the Queenstown Cemetery gives his date of death and burial as 09.02.1908 at the age of 76 years.  Harriet Green (nee Gardiner), his wife was also born at Woodstock, Oxfordshire on 02.04.1831 and died on 13.10.1905.  She was buried at Queenstown, New Zealand on 13.10.1905. Her age was recorded as aged 41 on emigration which places her year of birth as 1833.

From the Parish Record Book it is recorded that on July 15, 1854, Richard Green 22 years was married to Harriet Gardiner 23 years at the Parish Church in Wotton, Oxfordshire.  Richard made his X (mark) on the register while Harriet signed her name".

Some of the above information was recorded and traced by my late father and from his grandmother Harriet Glennie nee Green daughter of Richard and Harriet Green.

I hope this doesn't confuse the matters further.

Cheers

Alex G :D
Glasgow .. Glennie/Bryce, Aberdeenshire .. Glennie/ Grassick,
Clackmannanshire .. Bryce/Miller
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Ireland (Cobh) .. Sullivan

New Zealand .. Glennie/Bryce/Grassick/Spink/Palmer

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Australia .. Glennie/Ross/Lusk

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 October 12 22:19 BST (UK) »
Just another thought ???

It may well have been other family members who were employed on the Blenheim Palace Estate i.e. Harriet's family the Gardiners !! 

We all know how information can be distorted as it is passed down through the generations but either way the only concrete evidence is the 1871 Census that records the family of Richard and Harriet Green employed in the glove making industry.  This somehow does not equate with Blenheim Palace.

Winston Churchill was born around this time in 1874 also, in Blenheim Palace.

Alex G ;D
Glasgow .. Glennie/Bryce, Aberdeenshire .. Glennie/ Grassick,
Clackmannanshire .. Bryce/Miller
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Ireland (Cobh) .. Sullivan

New Zealand .. Glennie/Bryce/Grassick/Spink/Palmer

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Australia .. Glennie/Ross/Lusk