Author Topic: Hannah Robinson & William Mayor Completed thanks  (Read 4428 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Robinson & William Mayor Completed thanks
« on: Saturday 06 October 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a marriage on Family Search between these two people in 1828 at Great Shelford.  Can anyone shed any more light as to the details of this record?

I have a William Mayor in my tree, a mariner, born in West Itchenor Sussex, 1798, who together with a Hannah produce 7 children in Harwich, Essex, the majority of the children called Robinson Mayor as second forename & surname. Hannah in later census says she was born in Great Shelford, and indeed both of the partners end up living in Great Shelford in 1861, when William is in receipt of a pension. Hannah dies in Great Shelford in 1870, and William in Norfolk in 1866.

Tom

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Robinson & William Mayor
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 October 12 12:07 BST (UK) »
Are you sure William died in Norfolk 1866 found this

William Mayor burial 27 Apr 1861 OTP aged 63 years Great Shelford Cambridge

Hannah Mayor 20 Aug 1870 OTP aged 68 yrs Great Shelford Cambridge

the William Mayor who died  16 Oct 1866 had a widow Sarah Mayor of Thorpe.
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 12 14:07 BST (UK) »
from LDS Vital records index
MAYOR, William   
Wife   Hannah ROBINSON      
Marriage Date 8th October 1828   
Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire
FHL Film 990398   
Note   Groom from St Nicholas, Harwich, Essex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 October 12 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

Can you tell me the source for the burials at Great Shelford, because that William being buried in 1861 looks like the one in my tree. The other William was from BMD, no other details known.

The marriage date certainly looks good.  I am pretty certain that the source of William's pension is Trinity House. His eldest son, Samuel Robinson Mayor ended up a member of the Trinity House Corporation in Cowes, Isle of Wight, his father, Samuel was the Trinity Agent of Harwich. His brother Samuel born 1808, ended up as HM Controller of Customs in Grimsby in 1853, but was sacked for some reason, not known as yet. Research at Kew reveals he did not receive a pension.

Tom

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 October 12 15:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

Can you tell me the source for the burials at Great Shelford, because that William being buried in 1861 looks like the one in my tree. The other William was from BMD, no other details known.

As an online source FindMyPast (pay per view) has Cambridgeshire burials including Great Shelford

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 October 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie

Tom

Offline kcact

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Robinson & William Mayor Completed thanks
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 February 15 07:40 GMT (UK) »
I believe I am descended from Joseph Robinson and his wife Elizabeth Stearn who came from Great Shelford to the New South Colony in 1854 - and I am trying to determine if Joseph's sister Hannah Robinson, was the same person who married William Mayor ? More information on the Australian Robinson's from Great Shelford can be found here - https://ourmacintyreadamsaamily.wordpress.com/waters/robinson-family/

thanks

Kerrie Anne Christian

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Robinson & William Mayor Completed thanks
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 February 15 13:27 GMT (UK) »
kcact

Proving relationships is always difficult without other information to back it up.
Researching the baptism of Hannah Robinson, and looking at the naming patterns of the Samuel Mayor & Hannah Robinson I think I can safely say that Hannah was baptised at Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire, on 15 August 1802, the daughter of William Robinson & Mary.
 (Source Family Search) Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C13829-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 990398
Using the Batch number above & Family Search, Hannah Robinson had siblings of Susan, 1798 Elizabeth, 1805, William 1807, David, 1809, Joseph 1811, Peter 1813, James 1815 Frederick 1817 & Ebenezer 1819.
The most likely marriage would appear to be William Robinson & Mary Moore Marriage
Event Date:   1797
Event Place:   Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire, England
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M13829-1 , System Origin: England-VR , GS Film number: 990398 , Reference ID: 2:3Z8F7RN
However there was another marriage William Robinson & Mary Lack
Event Date:   21 Jul 1800
Event Place:   Willingham By St Ives, Cambridge,England
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M13062-1 , System Origin: England
But Willingham & Great Shelford are some 15 miles apart, and a Susan was baptised 1798 so the first marriage seems preferable.
No doubt you are aware of the 18th & 19th century practice in England of naming children after family members, usually to a certain order so as not to upset anyone, so the pattern for sons was:
◦   The first son was named after the paternal grandfather
◦   • The second son was named after the maternal grandfather
◦   • The third son was named after the father
The pattern for daughters was:
• The first daughter was named after the maternal grandmother
• The second daughter was named after the paternal grandmother
• The third daughter was named after the mother
In the Mayor family, these were the names:
William Mayor’s parents were Samuel Mayor & Frances Woodland
Looking at your blog the Robinson family’s names seem to link with the family siblings of Hannah Robinson, so going on that basis I would say there is a probable link between the 2 families.

Tom