Author Topic: Old Churchyard Bathgate look up for Hume Smith  (Read 3354 times)

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Churchyard Bathgate look up for Hume Smith
« on: Sunday 07 October 12 18:46 BST (UK) »
I am new to this so don't really know how to go about it. 

My relative Isabella Walker Smith is buried in the Old Churchyard, in Bathgate. She died 16 Sept 1860. 
I am trying to find where her husband Hume Smith is buried and when he died. He died before Isabella. Can anyone help.  Thank you.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Old Churchyard Bathgate look up for Hume Smith
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 12 19:37 BST (UK) »

There were some similar requests on this thread here http://www.rootschat.com/links/0rmy/

Once you have made another post (or is it two?) then you can send a private message. If you PM the person who did the lookups on that other thread then perhaps they will be able to help.

Try replying to this and then give it a go. Or, you could post your question on the West Lothian board and see if it gets seen by the right people  :)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 October 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. I will try that.

Becky

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 16:53 BST (UK) »
1. The Bennie Museum in Bathgate has transcriptions of gravestones in Bathgate. http://benniemuseum.org.uk/contentw/

2. West Lothian Council has the records for many burial grounds in West Lothian. They may have records for Bathgate for burials not commemorated on a gravestone.
http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/law-licensing/640/648/CemeteryandBurialgrounds

3. I take it that you have checked the pre-1855 death on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 18:55 BST (UK) »
Yes I have checked the pre-1855 deaths on the GRO's for Hume Smith b 1772 but he is not on there.   I know he died before 1851 as he was not on that census with Isabella as she was a toll keeper at the Livingston Toll Bar. Why I can't find Hume Smith's birth or death is amazing to me. I have found all the other Hume Smith's who are all related.  I will try the two places you mentioned. I live in the US but was born in Scotland and it would be so much easier if I could go to the places where they lived. Maybe one day. Thanks so much for your help.
bmatthews7838

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
Why I can't find Hume Smith's birth or death is amazing to me.

Death records before 1855 are very hit and miss - usually miss. It simply wasn't seen as necessary to preserve records of deaths. The idea that anyone other than immediate family would ever be interested in the date of death of an ordinary person was virtually unknown. The Kirk kept records of baptisms and banns because they were relevant to its activities among the living, but didn't always feel the need to keep tabs on those who had gone to eternal life - they would be looked after in Heaven, so there was no real need for the kirk to record down here who went up there when.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 21:39 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean. The reason I need to find a birth record or marriage record is to find out his parents names so I can connect him to the Hume Smith born in Torpichen 29 Sept 1754 who could possibly be his father. I figured if I found a grave then maybe it would have his parents there as well. I will keep hunting. Again thank you.
Bmatthews

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
Maybe - but could his parents' grave be in Torphichen rather than Bathgate?

Also a pre-1855 marriage record only rarely gives the name of the groom's father, so even finding that is unlikely to help much.

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 12:41 BST (UK) »
I guess my only chance of finding out who Hume's parent were is to find a record of his birth at the church. I was lucky that his wife Isabella died after 1855 and that gave me her parents names. I will check the LDS and see if they have a film on pre 1855 records for Livingston as that is where Hume was supposed to have been born. I will keep digging. :)