Author Topic: can anyone help me please? going slowly mad here  (Read 15069 times)

Offline booboo67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone help me please? going slowly mad here
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 November 12 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick
I knew my G grandparents were called Albert and Henrietta as i have family photos etc with this written on the back and i remember Henrietta as she died in 1982 ish.
i know Henrietta's surname was wells as there was an old family rumour that her uncle(her dads brother) was the bombardier billy wells (with the vast amount of information available on line these days, we now know this is not correct)
i received the marriage certificate a while back and it says for definite that
He married Henrietta Wells in 1916.  On his marriage cert it says he is 24 and a pastry cook(journeyman).  so this meant he was born Circa 1892.
on his marriage cert his father is Albert Williams, a farm bailiff.  strange job for a Londoner i thought.
his death cert says he was born Ely cambridgeshire and was born 1890.  the death was registered by Henrietta.
on the marriage cert, Henrietta's father was William wells.
the rest of my original post was what i was assuming pretty much.
any help you could offer would be great.
thanks
Julia

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 November 12 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julia,

Thanks for that.  I'll take another look at it when time permits and see if I can see anything.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Do you think it could be possible that he lied about his age ?

There's an Albert C Williams born in Ely Cambs, in 1883 on the 1890 census.  He's living in Fulham, London.

RG12/46, Folio 122, Page 10

The Albert Williams born in Wisbech married someone else.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline booboo67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 09:55 GMT (UK) »
morning
yes, its possible he lied about his age, anythings possible!
who is he living with in 1890?
i haven't got a subscription at the moment, but will probably sign up again today to look at what you've said.
but the middle initial is totally wrong, and i'm certain his middle name is arthur.

Offline booboo67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 12:15 GMT (UK) »
hi
just signed up to ancestry again.
thanks for your input nick, but none of albert c williams feels right.
wrong name, wrong date, wrong father
i've been looking for something concrete for so long, i'll go over what i've looked at before and thought it was a maybe and post it here later
thanks

Offline booboo67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 20:54 GMT (UK) »
me again, posting what i have thought previously, was correct.
i have a medal card index for Albert arthur williams, i do not understand what information it is giving me.
the 'see wellrum' comes up with nothing on a search of that name.
i have found an albert williams age 21 in 1911 living as a boarder in southampton. his place of birth is westbridge cambridgeshire.  so it all fits.  it says he was a merchant seaman deckhand.  perhaps this ties up with the medal card index? i dont know.  when i did try to work out the numbers on the medal card, i remember something coming up with the number 7553, whereas the number on alberts card is 5553, but the first 5 is written different to the other two.
i have also gone through manually the birth indexes for 1890/1/2 for alberts and arthurs and have come up with nothing conclusive
i really am beginning to think my g.grandfather, had something in his past he didnt want anyone to find!
my g.grandmother must have known that on his marriage cert he said he was 24 (1892) but on his death cert she registered 1890!
like my original posting said
'going slightly mad here'

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Only one problem - there is no Westbridge in Cambridgeshire.  Probably an enumerator error or something mis-heard (like Wisbech, which is pronounced whizz-beach).  And we've already seen the Albert Williams from Wisbech.   And why would his wife say he was born in Ely ?

Incidentally, you can't always tell when something is right.  When I was looking for the death certificate for my grandfather, I got 4 or 5 different certificates that seemed to fit the 'facts' that I knew, and every one of them was wrong.  My grandfather was a master bricklayer, and he had lived in the Eltham/Greenwich area all his life (not far from Lewisham), but it was only when I got in touch with a distant cousin that I'd never met before that I found out that he went to stay with his youngest son in Hampstead when his health got bad, and he died in hospital there.  Until that moment I hadn't realised that there was a Hampstead connection at all.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline booboo67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 23:35 GMT (UK) »
thanks again for the input nick
i did think wisbech/westbridge connection, but i also know that some places have changed names, and someone may have seen a different place.
i think its wisbech he was from, and i will continue looking.
i need now to connect the medal card index i have to something more then perhaps i can find more about him from war records.

Offline booboo67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 23:42 GMT (UK) »
as an add on
thanks again for the input nick
i did think wisbech/westbridge connection, but i also know that some places have changed names, and someone may have seen a different place.
i think its wisbech he was from, and i will continue looking.
i need now to connect the medal card index i have to something more then perhaps i can find more about him from war records.

also regarding the westbridge thing, my mum lived in kings lynn for 20 years and she had dealings with freebridge and southbridge and i found places in spalding called westbridge(i know spalding is lincolnshire, but its not a million miles away)