Author Topic: can anyone help me please? going slowly mad here  (Read 13358 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone help me please? going slowly mad here
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Lots of towns which have rivers running through them will have places called West Bridge or Westbridge.  These include Spalding, Kings Lynn, Boston, Leicester, Northampton, St. Ives, Elton, but alas not Wisbech or Ely.  I've lived in Cambridgeshire for nearly 20 years, and in northern Essex (near the Cambs borders) for 17 years, and I've never heard of a town or village called Westbridge in Cambridgeshire.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're in danger of doing something that most people have done at some time, and that is to make the facts fit your perception of what the facts should be.  The Albert Williams in Wisbech is the son of a Pork Butcher, and this Albert Williams didn't marry Henrietta Wells.  Why would his wife say he was born in Ely, if he was born in Wisbech ?  The two places are 23 miles apart by road and considerably further if the Welney Washes are flooded, as they are for much of the winter.

I do sympathise with your situation.... my own surname is a very common one, and for the last 4 years I have been struggling to find where my g.g. grandfather was born.  With such a common name, it's not a case of finding him, it's more a case of finding who isn't him, with so many to choose from !  He obligingly put 'London' and 'Middlesex, London' on the two censuses that he filled in  ::)  What I have found useful is to make a list of all the likely candidates, and track them all, and you can eliminate them from your enquiries.  It can also be useful to make a list of people with the same surname in the area, and these could well be siblings, cousins or other close relatives.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 08:16 BST (UK) »
Speaking from very far away and only coming across various sidebranches in Cambridgeshire so far, I don't feel really qualified to comment. However, is there any chance that she could have meant the Isle of Ely, perhaps as an old county, rather than Ely itself?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline booboo67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 10:26 BST (UK) »
hello
thanks for the information, but.................
i've already looked into that and it definately says on his death certificate ely, cambridgeshire

thanks again

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 May 13 13:43 BST (UK) »
Can we go back to square one here?

Having reread all this thread I share Nick29's thoughts - what exactly is known? Anything prior to his marriage? Have you found him in any census? If as you insist, his death cert shows his birthplace as Ely, the discussion about Westbridge is irrelevant. In any case it looks to me like Wisbidge - there's no t before the b - and I think that what the enumerator was told is Wisbech. Bear in mind also that it wasn't unknown for illegitimate people to invent a father upon marriage, to hide their illegitimacy.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 May 13 20:59 BST (UK) »
still not 100% convinced about Ely not meaning the Isle of Ely:
The people I'm doing searches about, for instance, on freecen for 1861 for "Where born" had Cambridgeshire - Ely Welney. This is a hierarchy. From wiki the Isle of Ely wasn't separate from Cambridge until 1889. Your Albert wasn't born until after that, but maybe some people, like his wife's parents and so his wife, still thought of it as part of Cambridgeshire. It was back again as part of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely by 1965. It all just seems a bit blurry to me. Wisbech, for instance, was part of it. Anyway, that's up to you. I've put in my 2 cents worth. Enjoy the puzzle.