Author Topic: Willmott marriage in Luton  (Read 3746 times)

Offline kdcen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Willmott marriage in Luton
« on: Friday 12 October 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find birth/parents of Arthur Willmott.

The only info. I have from his grandson(son of Eric) is that he married Helene Makelberge(from Belgium) in Luton 1921, had 3 children Eric, (*)
 & Veronica. Helene apparently ran off & he remarried to someone unknown.
He thinks that Arthur died before 1958.

Any info. would be much appreciated.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Willmott marriage in Luton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 October 12 17:12 BST (UK) »
I think you're going to need Arthur's marriage certificate, in order to see  who his father was?

If he married in 1921, he would probably have been born 1890-1900, marrying in his 20's?

FreeBMD shows 24 Arthur Willmott births in that time frame!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 October 12 17:36 BST (UK) »

If he married in 1921, he would probably have been born 1890-1900, marrying in his 20's?

FreeBMD shows 24 Arthur Willmott births in that time frame!

But only 1 entry in Luton which is a distint possibility.....

Arthur Willmot death in the June Qtr of 1948 in the Luton Reg. District aged 70 making his birth year 1878.....

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 October 12 17:40 BST (UK) »
It is possible this is his death  ::)

Deaths June qtr 1948  
Willmott    Arthur
age 70   
Luton    4a   129

This would put his birth c1878 making him 43 at marriage - not impossible
(my grandfather was that age when he married my grandma, his 7th child was born when he was 63  ;D )

Beat me to it KG  ;D

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline noff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 12 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am also a grandson of Arthur and Helene (b1896 Oostende).
Arthur (b1877) died in 1948 but he remarried an Elsie Coleman in 1941. She owned a sweet shop in Luton and they then moved to Sundon Park. When Arthur died in 1948, she very quickly married a Frank Foster in 1949.
I am trying to find out when and where Helene or Helena died. Does anybody know?
Thanks
Neil

Offline kdcen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 October 12 21:07 BST (UK) »
I am told that Helena Florentina Makelberge divorced Arthur Willmott & then married a Frederick Harold John Cook in 1942 Luton.
I don't know for certain but i have found a death for a Helen Florence Cook in 1979 in Luton which seems to fit in with the birth date & place.

Offline noff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 October 12 23:50 BST (UK) »
Wow!!! Thank you for the information. I am quite taken aback that I had a Grandmother living in the same town that I was living in at the time and I didn't know it. You probably know that Arthur and Helene had 3 children together. Eric, (*) and Veronica. I am Neil Offer, the younger son of (*). My mother is now 87 and has no idea what happened to her own mother, so this will be very interesting for her and my Dad. We all moved away from the Luton area in the late 1980's. Sadly, Veronica died a few years ago and Eric also died much more recently. It is shame because Eric being the elder brother may have been able to shed much more light on the distant past. I only met him once in the 1980's when Eric came and found (*)and Veronica after decades apart.
I found out today that Arthur Willmott is buried in Rushden, so I might have to try and find out exactly where, but I have a couple more questions for you. Do you happen to know where Helene is buried? I have also found the Makelberge family tree on line, done by a Belgian man. It looks like Helene had 12 brothers and sisters. Plus, Alfred Deane Willmott and Marie Therese Richards had 7 children and they nearly all got married in the Luton area. You don't know any of these do? I'm sure that one the children must have pictures of Alfred and hopefully Helene. Lastly, I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you related to the Willmott or Makelberge family? If it is easier, my home email address is (*) Thanks once again for your help. If I can help you at all, please let me know.
Neil

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php