Author Topic: Royal Sussex Regiment  (Read 6332 times)

Offline 50net

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Sussex Regiment
« on: Friday 12 October 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
I have found the medal card for my Grandfather Albert John Balcombe, who joined the Royal Sussex in October 1915.

Can anyone tell me how to further research his army days given that the service record is untraceable and is probably lost.

He survived the war, but died in 1933 as a result of a diseased heart which I am told was common to those engaged in trench warfare.

My father was six when his own father died, and we know so little.

Thanks in anticipation.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Sussex Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 October 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome

Was his service number 243028 and was he born around 1891?  If so - his service record is under Balcomb with no e on the end.  Address 13 Silverlands Rd St Leonards and shows him married to Hilda nee Clarke on 5.6.1915
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline 50net

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 October 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Carole. No, he was from Burwash Common, Sussex. I think his service number was 240167.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 October 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

His death reg shows his birthyear as approx 1899 so he was probably this birth - born in Surrey

Albert John Balcombe December qtr 1898  Godstone  2a  200

Parents Frederick & Emily
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline 50net

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 12 21:52 BST (UK) »
Yes Carole, that's him. He died 24/08/1933 of arthritic myocarditis, which I discover was common if you had suffered flu in the trenches. He was 34 years old at death, so 1899 is his year of birth. This makes him 16 in 1915, but I think he may have exaggerated his age.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 October 12 22:14 BST (UK) »
The medal card you found shows he was a Lance Cpl and served in France 8.10.1915.

Given the rank plus your Albert's  age (under 17yrs old) - do you have personal documentation confirming his number or have you taken it from the medal roll index?

The reason I ask is that there was an Albert John Balcombe born in Sussex 1894 and an Albert John Balcomb b Sussex 1891 who may better fit that profile

Offline 50net

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 October 12 08:49 BST (UK) »
All I know is that he fought in WW1 and was in France. He was injured as a result and suffered his illness also as a possible result. The card is the only Albert John I think. It is unfortunate that there are no address details on the card to positively identify him.

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 October 12 10:10 BST (UK) »
I think that the medal card for L/Cpl Albert J Balcombe referred to above is highly unlikely to be the card of a man born in 1899. My reasons are as follows: this man's entry into France was 8th October 1915, which means that he would have to have been in the Army at least six months beforehand, so April 1915 would have been the earliest date for his enlistment. However his rank on entry was L/Cpl, which would suggest a man of some experience, so pushing back his enlistment date even further.

There are two other cards for men named Albert J Balcombe - Manchester Regiment - Private 53829 and King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry - Private 49428. Given your man's age I suspect that he didn't enlist until after 1916 and by that date men were being sent wherever need was greatest, so the fact that he may not have had any ties with either Manchester or Yorkshire don't matter.

Probably your best bet for identifying the correct information is to come at it from a different angle. If you can have a look at the local papers from his area from 1916 onwards he may well get a mention - also the Absent Voters List [1918] for his area may tell you what you need, assuming it still exists - try the local record office or main county library.

Might I also suggest that you look here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/

Lots of good advice and tips,

Good hunting

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline 50net

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 October 12 13:25 BST (UK) »
I am endebted to you both for. Helping me look at this clearly. I shall follow the lines of enquiry suggested and report back here if I find anything.

Thanks again for your help.

Martin