Author Topic: Baptism request c.1808 COMPLETED with thanks  (Read 5653 times)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism request c.1808
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 October 12 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Rhosgoch, Thank you for looking. I believe that Mary Daniel living with Thomas Lewis on 1841 Census was his sister. I found a marriage of John Daniel and Mary Lewis 1st March 1810 at St.Peters Church, Carmarthen.  They both seemed to have been born 1781 so could have been twins. I was about to put an appeal for baptisms of St. Peter's for that time.
I also found an Elizabeth Lewis burial at Llanstephen 1st Dec 1818 age 37 and Thomas Lewis burial 10th October 1842 at Llanstephen age 61 - both ages seem to correspond. Wondering if Elizabeth came from Llanstephen and  wished to be buried there so Thomas buried with her.
Any help or advice how to go about finding out answers to queries of baptisms and burial I would be extremley grateful to enable me to close research.
I would send for Death/Cert of Thomas but reluctant unless sure of facts. I have had too many wrong ones over the years. Thanks again for your help. Syljun

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 October 12 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thomas Lewis buried in Llanstephan 1842 is a Reverend so can be discounted.
Ages in the 1841 census are rounded down so Thomas 's birth would be 1776 - 1781. Same for Mary Daniel. Apart from this they can be years out. 1851 is much more reliable. Besides, Thomas would only have been 18 at his marriage in 1799 if born in 1781.
I had a quick look at St Peter's baptisms and there are dozens of Lewis baptisms between 1770 and 1780 with several Thomas's all with different fathers. You have an impossible task to find his baptism or Elizabeth's with any certainty, especially as you are not sure which parish Elizabeth or Thomas were born.
I saw a burial for an Elizabeth Lewis in Pembrey in 1812. Elizabeth is from Llanelli but no age is given, so again impossible to say if correct.
Regards,
Rhosgoch.

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 07:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rhosgoch, You have been most helpful. As you say it is an impossible task so will have to give it a miss unless something comes up connected to 1851 Census when Thomas Lewis b.1773 was with John and Anne Bowen at Mount Pleasant.
It is so easy to connect and go down wrong path.  It was the Hengoed connection on 1841 Census when Thomas Lewis was with Mary Daniel with ages of 60 that I thought I was on right path.
Ah well that's research for you. thanks again, Syljun