Author Topic: Sheriff Court of Banffshire  (Read 1384 times)

Offline ianash1963

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sheriff Court of Banffshire
« on: Saturday 13 October 12 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am tracing an ancestor,who was the father of an illegitimate child. The mother was Jane MCDOUGAL b 21 Aug 1844 in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire. The father was James GEDDES, who was a fisherman in Buckie, Banffshire.

I an trying to trace James Geddes but there are a swag of James Geddes in Buckie.

I was hoping that there may be an address of James Geddes that is shown in the records of the Sheriff Court. Jane McDougal the mother, went to the Sheriff Court in Banffshire, to have James Geddes named as father in the Birth Record. This is shown in the register of Corrected Entries in 1868.

I am hoping that someone can tell me if addresses of the fathers were shown in the Sheriff Court of Banffshire?

Thanks!

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sheriff Court of Banffshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 October 12 11:51 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the minutes of the kirk sessions of each parish to see if there is an entry there? They can sometimes provide a detail which helps identify a father. It may be that the parochial board records contain something. At that time, however, "fisherman in Buckie" was usually seen as an accurate enough description in documents.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 October 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
Contacting the NAS who hold these records could be helpful:

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/sheriffCourt.asp
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline ianash1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 October 12 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks GR2 and Graham

The kirk sessions is something I did not know about. I have contacted NAS and it looks like I will have to ask someone to physically check the records (I'm in Australia).

Cheers
Ian A